Summer events (still in the planning stages – we’ll keep you posted!)
- Mindfulness workshop with Meghann Gerber
- Introduction to mindfulness
- Friday morning, 10 AM, late July or August
- Summer picnic
- Potluck Picnic on Rainier Vista
- Friday at 5 PM in late July or early August
- Schmoozing with WChE, WiGS, SACNAS, oSTEM, Tech++, AWMS, etc.
- Letter Writing to Legislators!
- Wednesday at 5 PM in HUB 337
- In conjunction with oSTEM (and potentially UAW?)
- Here’s a google doc with relevant research, as well as form emails directed to state legislators about supporting stricter gun laws and NOT supporting an anti-trans initiative (I-1515). There’s also a letter to Paul Ryan addressing his lack of respect for LGBTQ+/Queer folks.
- Here’s a Facebook event!
- Developing new outreach activities
- There will be a brainstorming meeting coming up – stay tuned for an email from Rae Eaton.
- Book club – Lab Girl by Hope Jahren
- Career Series
- Fall – Skills
- Winter – What jobs are available to me?
- Spring – How do I apply to jobs?
- If anyone is particularly interested in getting this going, let us know!
- Diversity in STEM summit
- Together with many of the diversity-related STEM student groups, Sarah Vorpahl and Nick Montoni are putting together a Diversity in STEM Summit. The summit will focus on how to manage up and find mentors and role models, peer mentor and support our fellow underrepresented students, and eventually transform the climate in STEM to be more accepting. The summit is scheduled to take place on Saturday, October 8, 2016, and it will likely be a 9-5 event.
- 2017 WCS lecture: Geri Richmond
- Geri has accepted our invitation!
- Planning and scheduling are in the works.
- If you wanna help out, contact Katie or Heidi.
- Peer mentor network