Back to Homepage
Credit: Takeshi Hirano
Data Cleaning with Wrangler
Benji Xie & Greg Nelson
Today you're going to practice using Trifacta Wrangler to clean some data.
Download Wrangler, Data
Wrangler is free to download: Wrangler download page
Transform obituary data from disease simulation
Do the following:
- Export the obituary data from the Google Sheets (as CSV).
- Import the data into Wrangler
- Start transforming the data!
Tips for data cleaning with Wrangler:
- Try highlighting some part of the data. Wrangler is pretty good at recommending some "recipes" based on what you highlighted and you can modify the recommendations if necessary.
- Split up the problem into sub-steps. Break up a problem so 1 step is done in 1 column and another step is done in another column and then combine the 2 new columns.
- Consult documentation. Trifacta has great documenation
and online training to teach you how to use Wrangler.
Be sure to clean your data with a purpose and goal in mind!