Society of American Archivists - University of Washington Student Chapter - Banner


What MLIS classes can I take that are related to archives?
LIS 505 - Archival and Manuscript Services will be offered Winter 2010, and is typically taught by Scott Cline of the Seattle Muncipal Archives). Another archives-related course is LIS 507 - Preservation and Conservation of Library Materials, and is generally taught in the Spring.
The University of Washington also offers a Master of Arts in Museology, and many of the electives in this program are relevant to archives, including issues of Fundraising, Planning Exhibits, and more.

Where can I persue a Master's Degree in Archive Studies?
Western Washington University offers a one-year program to students with an MLIS degree.
The SAA website has a guide to certificate programs.

What types of jobs do archivist do?
Everything from preservation, organization, cataloging, reference, administrative functions and records management. For more information, see the SAA website

How can I gain experience working in archives?
Directed Fieldworks are an excellent way to gain hands-on experience working in archives. See our links page for ideas about local institutions that have had opportunities in the past. Special Collections in Allen Library also hires student workers. John Bolcer, the university archivist, also recommends doing research projects in libraries to gain archives experience on the other side of the desk.

How can I get involved with SAA-UW?
Contact the SAA-UW Webmasters to find out how to join the organization, or attend one of our quarterly open meetings to find out more, talk to existing members, or ask any questions you may have. There are many opportunites to volunteer and get involved!


The SAA logo is property of the Society of American Archivists. Last updated 15 May 2010.
Any questions, comments or issues with the site, please contact the SAA-UW Webmasters.

Valid XHTML 1.0 Transitional Valid CSS!