Why you should support Israel:
- In 1947, the U.N. voted to create two states, one for the Jews and one for the Palestinians. If the Palestinians had accepted, they would have had a state, but unfortunately, the Palestinians and Arab states rejected the vote and invaded the new state of Israel.
- Israel has shown in peace agreements with Egypt in 1978, in which it returned ALL of the Sinai Peninsula, and with Jordan in 1994, that when a partner is there, Israel is more than happy to compromise to make peace.
- Israel offered the Palestinians a peace deal in July 2000 in which the Palestinians would have received over 90% of the West Bank and all of the Gaza strip, with a Palestinian flag flying in East Jerusalem. Yasser Arafat rejected this plan, made no counterproposal, and immediately began orchestrating terrorist attacks on Israeli civilians, just as he has done since 1964.
Why you should support a strong U.S-Israel relationship
- Israel is the only democracy in the Middle East, with a free press, free speech, and open democratic elections.
- Each year, Israel aids the United States in monitoring military activity in the region, which is especially vital now as a U.S.- Iraq War becomes even more of a reality.
- Israel and the United States save each other money by sharing intelligence and continuing to foster their relationship.
- Israel and the United States recently worked as partners in the development of the ARROW Missile Defense System, which could be used in the event of a war with Iraq.
Why this petition is important:
- This petition will appear as an ad in The Daily to demonstrate to students and faculty our support for Israel during these difficult times.
- These ads will then be sent to all State and Federal elected officials from our region to strengthen the bond between our campus, community, and congress, with regards to the Palestinian-Israeli conflict.