To obtain an account on Hyak and access the STF nodes, there are a few steps that you need to take.
Fill out the Hyak Usage Questionnaire
The data gathered from this questionnaire is useful for future funding requests, so please fill this form out here: Hyak Usage Questionnaire.
Fill out the Hyak Usage Quiz
All new users are also required to take a short test to show that they are “HPC Ready”. There are some resources that will help you get ready for the quiz:
- Familiarize your self with *nix languages. Many resources are freely available online – here is one suggestion.
- Read the Hyak wiki carefully. It is not intuitive to navigate, please make sure you read the following in its entirety:
- Talk to any of your lab mates who may have prior experience with a remote cluster.
Get added to the STF group on Hyak
The account manager for the HPC Club must add your UW NetID to the “u_hyak_stf” group to give you access to the nodes. After completing the questionnaire and quiz, let us know by sending email to the HPC Club officers at firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Hyak Account” to get access.
Add Hyak and Lolo as Services
Once you have received the eToken and have been added to the STF group on Hyak, the next step is to add the “Hyak Server” and the “Lolo Server” (storage system) to the resources page connected to your UW NetID. Go to the following link https://uwnetid.washington.edu/manage and follow the steps below:
- Click the “Computing Services” bar on the left.
- In the “Inactive Services” section, check the boxes titled “Hyak Server” and “Lolo Server”. Note: sometimes these options aren’t immediately available; if, a day or so after receiving your eToken you still don’t see these options, email email@example.com and they should fix the problem right away.
- Hit “Subscribe”. Note: it may take up to an hour after subscribing for the service to be fully functional.
Set up two-factor authentication (2FA)
Once you have received a confirmation email that you have been added to the STF group on Hyak, you will need to set up your 2FA devices by going to this link, and scrolling down to the “manage your device(s)” section. Follow the instructions there. Once you have set up your 2FA devices, you’ll be able to use your UW NetID, password, and 2FA device to log into Hyak.
At this point, you should be all set to log on to Hyak and start using the STF nodes! Please note that it may take up to 24 hours after you’ve been added to the STF group on Hyak before this option becomes available.