During the summer of 2016 I interned as a UX Researcher at YouTube on the Creator Love team. My brief for this project was to take a research kit which had been devised by my mentor at YouTube, pilot test it, analyze the results, iterate, and create & test a new kit. The aim of the project was to ultimately better connect developers and designers to their users. This project constituted the bulk of my work during my YouTube Internship. Due to signing an NDA, not all details of the project can be shown.
My internship started with the handover of a set of 5 'research activity cards'. Each card contained an activity (such as asking users of the kit to observe certain behaviors, or to interact with individuals and ask certain questions) designed for YouTube employees to conduct during events where they would be interacting with YouTube creators.
After the completion of the pilot study, and the analysis of its results, I conducted a series of follow-up focus groups with YouTube employees. These focus groups worked to further extrapolate on the results gathered by the research activities, and on the effectiveness of the kit itself.
The focus groups had two primary objectives:
The final phase of my summer project was the iterative re-design and testing of the research activities, and the formation of a research activity library.
Overall, I managed to complete my summer project to a very high standard, despite taking on multiple other projects during my internship at YouTube. I learned a great deal about performing user research in a dynamic and often time-sensitive environment. Perhaps more importantly though I experienced conducting research outside of my comfort zone. Prior to my YouTube internship I had only completed research in very formal environments, usually in labs or other controlled settings. For this project I was out in the wild making sure the research kits were being distributed, supporting YouTube employees in completing the activities, and encouraging them to return the completed kits. Even when I performed research in more formal settings during this project, it was in new ways. Designing and creating the activities that the focus groups completed, and even doing a visual re-design on the research kit were new areas for me where I had to opportunity to develop new skills, and did so with a high degree of success.