The Climbing Club

at the University of Washington
It is currently Sun Jul 21, 2019 4:48 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:35 am 
Cap'n Wingspan

After cranking at Potash road and climbing a couple towers, Bryan and I figured a restish day was in order, so we drove south of out Moab to the Looking Glass Rock, a dome of sorts Bryan had wanted to climb for a while. It was on the way to Indian Creek, our next stop, so it fit in perfectly.

Pano of the dome. Photo by Bryan Hendrick

We found the dome easily and, thanks to the Xterra, were able to drive a pretty rough road to the very base of the east ridge, our 'climb' for the next day. Here we found a great little secluded primitive campsite with a nice collection of firewood by the ring. No idea if it's legal, but it seemed to be on BLM land, so I think we were good.

Someone put a little plaster Buddha at the base of the ridge and another at the top

Down the 'ridge'

The next morning we struggled through the grueling, 10 second approach to the base of the route. Actually, we just hopped a fence and walked a couple of yards around the ridge to the start of the climb. It was brutal. A couple quick pitches of hands-free 5.4 slab simuling brought us to the top of the dome. We spent a while enjoying the views from the large, flat summit

Cranking hard and using my hands unnecessarily. Photo by Bryan Hendrick

Now, why were we climbing this you ask? Because of the descent. Rather than rappel or downclimb the route we took to the top, Looking Glass rock offers a (according to the guidebook) 185 ft. free rappel down through a small hole near the top of the dome.

Through the looking glass(es)

Bryan through the rappel hole

We set up our rap with two ropes and I lowered through the hole, soon finding myself spinning slowly in the massively hollowed out underside of the dome. Pretty cool. The origin of the domes name is due to the large hole in the side of the dome through which the sun shines and apparently creates images on the far wall. Didn't see that happening.

My shadow

Bryan rapping

At the ground I counted about 20 meters of spare rope, so I don't know where the guidebook got its 185 foot figure from, but it was still fun and by far the longest free rap I've ever done. It made a nice rest day activity.

Last edited by Evan Jewett on Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:04 pm 
Rodrigo

Great pictures. Of course, the same can be said of your adventures. I'm looking to hearing more about them.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:40 pm 
Longshanks

Looking good Evan! Can you fix the first few pictures? :drink:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:10 pm 
Cap'n Wingspan

Sure, did that do the trick?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:28 am 
Longshanks

Yep. Thanks. looks like a very cool climb!