The Climbing Club

at the University of Washington
It is currently Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:00 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 5:11 pm 
Rodrigo

I went out with Jim yesterday to climb some slab. I didn't think I would enjoy it...but I did. I can't believe I had never been to the area before and I was shocked that we only saw one other party. It's a fantastic place.

I don't know how long the approach was but I'm certain it was much shorter than the advertised 45 minutes that I read. The road was easily passable in Jim's Outback although the going would have been slower in a smaller car. By the end of the day we smelled of fire due to all of the smoke.

We climbed Big Tree 1 (P1-P3), Under the Boardwalk, and Till Broad Daylight (P1-P2). Sorry, no pictures. They can be easily found elsewhere.

Big Tree 1: P1 and P2, both less than 5.6, are great pitches for someone just getting into trad leading. They generally protect quite well and the moves are pretty reasonable. I found the third pitch very enjoyable but much more of a challenge. Perhaps there's another approach to the crux but I found it much more difficult than any other 5.8 sections we climbed. The Gear on the third pitch was generally there but more difficult due to the flaring nature of many of the cracks. Above this the climbing is reported as less fun.

Under the Boardwalk: A 5.7 move right off of the ground eases into easy climbing up a slab. A nice slab warm up. It's quite run out but the climbing is easy and, as has been mentioned elsewhere, would be a suitable early lead for someone.

Till Broad Daylight: Two pitches of some 5.7-5.8 climbing with bolts and some required gear placements. Well worth climbing. Above the first two pitches (by our count, we skipped the first set of anchors) the nice shiny 3/8" bolts turn into old buttonheads.

Go get it.