The Climbing Club

at the University of Washington
It is currently Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:00 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Prime Rib
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:36 pm 
UW Climber

I headed up Prime Rib in Mazama this past weekend. Fun times; nothing super new and exciting, but we did the car shuttle and walk-off. For those interested in doing the walk-off, I recommend setting it up the night before the climb, in order to get an early start, since you can do almost the entire climb in the shade if you start early enough. The sun hit us on Pitch 10 at about 12:30. The driving directions to the car drop-off point in the Mazama Rock book are lousy, so here's a better version.

From the Mazama junction, head down Goat Creek Road. After about 2 miles, take a sharp left towards the Goat Creek sno-park. Keep heading up the road following signs to the Goat Peak Lookout, which will include a left turn at the only junction. The road continues steadily uphill until the cattle guard that you park at. The road heads downhill immediately after the cattle guard. My phone gave me an elevation of 4,600, but I don't trust the accuracy of that number.

The scramble/walk-off has very little scrambling, and has very little exposure, so inexperienced scramblers should feel comfortable doing it in running shoes or boots. The walk-off trail was easy to follow until you hit the top of goat wall. Once you get to the top, stay on the ridge crest and traverse to climber's right for about 10 minutes, until you hit a cattle fence. Walk along the cattle fence to the road.

We were 7 hours from the bottom car to the top car, and didn't climb particularly quickly. If you're a confident 5.9 leader, you could probably plan on only clipping 1/2 to 2/3 of the bolts on each pitch, and skimp on the recommended 15 draws.

Post subject: Re: Prime Rib
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:14 pm 
UW Climber

Nice job, Michelle! Fun climb. Good to know how to do the walk-off, rapping takes forever.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:13 pm 
Mountain Rhombus

Never doing those rappels again!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:55 pm 
experienced hiker of the climbing club

Nice to know that we weren't too far off when we went hunting for the walk-off earlier this year with Kris. All the scrambles down from the end of the cattle fence looked just a little too gnarly to be considered 3rd class.

Maybe someone should start a weekend shuttle service for climbers in the summer... Only kind of joking...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:23 pm 
Rodrigo

I agree with Craig. Now I want to go do it again just so I can walk/bike off.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:32 pm 
UW Climber

It occurred to me that you could probably set up the shuttle by bringing mountain bikes to the car drop-off and biking back down to the base of the approach, though it would take a bit longer, and you'd get pretty dusty. It's downhill for all but 4-5 miles in the river valley, which are mostly flat.