[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4770: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4772: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4774: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
The Climbing Club • View topic - Using real names as forum user names

The Climbing Club

at the University of Washington
It is currently Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:08 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:30 am 
UW Climber

What happened to the policy of using real names for forum user names? Seems like I have seen a slew of new members on the forum recently with strange non-name usernames, and I can't tell if they are bots or real people. I think using real names helps provide transparency and accountability (and discourages spray when you can't hide behind some nonsensical username). One of the reasons I enjoy the UWCC forum so much is because real names are used. I am strongly in favor of continuing/enforcing this policy with new members.

Thoughts/comments?

Last edited by Heather Whitney on Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:24 am 
UW Climber

I agree that using real names is the best way to go. This was mentioned at the first meeting this year, but missed or overlooked by some. I don't know if there's a way to change one's user name, but that could be a good strategy.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:05 pm 
Cap'n Wingspan

I'm pretty certain Kris can change usernames to whatever, or require that people do. If not he can just delete the account and if they really want to post here, they can reregister with their name. There have been some phishing posts recently. The best strategy is to mock them, IMO.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:30 pm 
UW Climber

If Kris has the power to remove obviously phishing users, I'm in support! How do forum member requests currently get authorized? Perhaps there could be some increased enforcement of who gets to join? (Both in screening for phishers and preventing/discouraging non-real name usernames)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:45 pm 
Cap'n Wingspan

Heather, older thread should answer those questions I think.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:23 am 
The Shepherd

Yeah, just got rid of the two offenders. I agree with the name thing, but I'm not the only one who approves accounts. So, we need ALL the admins to look before leaping.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:10 am 
UW Climber

Yay, thank you Kris!

But what do we do about all the new members who ARE legit and have non-real ame usernames? For example, who is chubbles? Gowithwi, nc1617, jdivita3, etc? I dont want to pick on people, and I defintely don't want to scare away new members, but now does an admin have to delete their accounts and ask them re-register as Firstname Lastname?

Edit: or can admins change user names?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:35 pm 
The Shepherd

I can change their names. I'd prefer if they would send email to climb@uw.edu and tell me their current username, and what to change it to .... Please.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:04 am 
UW Climber

Thanks, Kris. I am happy to provide friendly "nudges" to members in non-compliance who post on the forum. Sarah, perhaps you can add an announcement about changing to real names in the weekly club update email?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:21 pm 
UW Climber

Bump.

I just want to bring this thread back to attention since new members are still apparently being allowed into the forum without using their real names. I don't want to pick on anyone, but "Jojo7136" was added April 9, 2012, so someone is still approving non-real name usernames. Can we please enforce this policy? See this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=6171

Thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:54 pm 
UW Climber

Thanks for bringing this up Heather. I believe the culprit for approving those names is me since I totally forgot about this policy! But I agree it makes the forum much cooler when everyone has real names.

I just made the forum registration more strict so you will not be allowed to create a username unless it looks somewhat like a real name, and I will also look at usernames now before granting login access.

Finally, I sent 480 people a PM about changing their username to reflect their real name. Hopefully some of them follow suit!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:53 am 
Alpine Slogger

Dylan,

I know I've been a major culprit, so I complied with your PM and moved from BrianDoehle to Brian Doehle. :) :drink2:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:26 pm 
UW Climber

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:49 pm 
The Pub Czar

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:43 pm 
UW Climber

Thanks all, especially Brian Doehle for the huge sacrifice he made to the club by adding a space to his username. May you be an example to us all!

Dylan, I will be curious to see how many folks respond to your PM and 'fess up with their real names (spaces and all). I often wonder how many bots and non-climbing-related users are registered. It always seems a little creepy when some new bot/advertising fiend/spider-crawling-thing is accidentally approved and starts spamming the forum. I don't know if there is a reliable way to distinguish between legit and non-legit users other than looking at their posts with a discerning eye.