The Climbing Club

at the University of Washington
It is currently Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:04 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 5:34 pm 
UW Climber

It's been a while since I posted a trip report on here, but I haven't been sitting idly by. Now that I'm officially a UW "Alum," part of me feels a little "old" to be still following and posting on the UWCC forum. But then the other part of me says: "but the UWCC is cool!" But now that I've graduated (spring 2010), I have made a lot of non-UW climbing friends, so where does one draw the line on sharing trip reports? I've decided that if my party includes other UW students or UW alumni (i.e. I am not the only UWCC-affiliated person), then I will go ahead and share. The UWCC forum community is one of the friendliest groups I've met, and I would like to stay involved!

Anyhow, enough of the vitriol... I teamed up with Aubrey Goldsmith (just finished up at UW's nursing school in August), Floris (a current pseudo-UW grad student who is really enrolled at CalTech -- long story), and Jared (not UW-affiliated as far as I know) for a one day outing to Vantage on Saturday, Oct 8. Having just completed the Intermediate Class offered by the Washington Alpine Club (which I highly recommend!), I brought along my little trad rack on the off chance that I might get to put it to good use on an easy crack. It turned out to be good training weight as we hopped on a couple of sport routes in the Air Guitar area that enabled us to top rope the cracks next door. Squeezed in about 6 quality climbs before we headed to camp to relax.

Weather was warm and sunny, and there were lots of folks out hoping to get in some climbs. Some pics and narrative:

Aubrey climbs Vantage Pt (5.8):

Aubrey tries some crack climbing on Pony Keg (5.9):

Jared on Pony Keg:

Floris belays:

Aubrey starts up Crossing the Threshold (5.8):

Floris climbs Throbbing Gristle (5.9):

Nice sunset at camp:

Cool view of Sunshine Wall (Near End/Ride 'Em Cowboy) and Kotick Memorial wall from somewhere above the Ryder columns area:

If anyone is interested in taking their climbing skills to a higher level and would like more information on the WAC classes, I would be happy to share beta and pictures. The price for the Intermediate class ($180) can't be beat if you are a student on a budget, and you get 4 weekends (Mt Baker, Leavenworth, Tieton, and Leavenworth) and 4 week nights of quality instruction for that amazing low price.

Happy climbing!

Last edited by Heather Whitney on Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 5:57 pm 
Raging Alpoholic

Hey Heather, I'm not sure if you are completely aware of this, but many of the TRs on this forum are from UWCC alums and loose affiliates. Once a member, always a member. Keep the TRs coming!
Looks like you got in quite a few of the best routes on Sunshine wall this weekend.
:D

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:16 pm 
UW Climber

Thanks, Val. I had a hunch that many TRs were from UW Alum, so I didn't feel too out of place! :)

Yeah, we got lucky on nabbing a bunch of classic routes (all but Air Guitar, which I don't feel quite up to trad leading yet!). I've been wanting to climb those for awhile, but always walked right past at the sight of the crowds. However, the other members of my group were persistent in wanting to climb that area, so we queued up and the wait time was surprisingly short. With 2 ropes and four climbers, the open pair was always able to jump on the next open climb and keep the climbing coming for the whole group!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:44 pm 
UW Climber

Great time Heather! Glad we could make it work - looking forward to much more climbing!!