[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4770: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4772: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4774: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
The Climbing Club • View topic - Backcountry Ski Tour 1/15 or 1/16

The Climbing Club

at the University of Washington
It is currently Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:57 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:22 pm 
Duchess of Bearington

I'm thinking about organizing a one day backcountry ski tour for this weekend. Because conditions are variable, I'll wait until later in the week to post exactly where I'm going.

This will be a mellow ski tour, so you won't need to be in phenomenal shape, but please know how to use all of your gear. Expect to leave Seattle around 7am and return around 4pm.

To keep things kerfuffle free, I'll cap the trip at 8 people (including myself).

Gear required:
skis (with AT or tele bindings)
boots
poles
skins
probe (can rent from club)
shovel (can rent from club)
beacon (can rent from club)
desire to shred

If you're interested in coming please post:
1. Can you drive? How many?
2. Do you need to rent any gear (the club has beacons)
3. What's your previous backcountry ski experience

UPDATE:
A few things, since I was unclear in the first version of this post:
-You must have AT or tele bindings to come on this trip
-You must have skins (the club does not rent skins as they need to be customized for your skis)
-I want to reiterate this: you must know how to use your gear, especially your avalanche safety gear.
-If it's raining, I will postpone the trip to next weekend (the current weather both at Snoqualmie and Stevens are forecasting rain)

Last edited by Ava Holliday on Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:53 am 
stick clip

Count me in! Been dying to go give my dynafits a proper inauguration.

1. Have car (finally!); can take 3 others
2. Have all the gear
3. I've done a few short b/c trips and some yoyo laps, as well as being an experienced resort skiier. Not to many "legit" ski tours though.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:23 am 
UW Climber

Definitely interested in going.

1) Have car. Can take 3 others (2 comfortably).
2) Have all the gear
3) Intermediate amount of experience. Have done some longer/overnight tours.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:52 pm 
UW Climber

Definitely interested. I'm new to the area and haven't been out touring yet so I'd be psyched to go this weekend.
I'm not certain I can make it but can commit about 80% of the way right now.

1. No car this weekend unfortunately
2. I have all the gear
3. Plenty of backcountry skiing experience in New Hampshire over the past 4-5 years, mostly day trips, few overnights

Jesse Billingham

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:17 am 
UW Climber

Put me into the "first time for everything" file?

1. No car
2. would need to rent skins, beacon, shovel and probe
3. resorts only

If you don't feel like bothering with a noob, I'll totally understand and all. But I would like to come.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:36 am 
Cap'n Wingspan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:40 am 
UW Climber

Evan, thanks for checking. My otherwise unlikely position is due to the wonder of telemarks!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:28 am 
UW Climber

Hi! I'm way interested in coming. I would be on snowshoes with my snowboard, so if that's a problem, no worries.

nope

2. Do you need to rent any gear (the club has beacons):
I have all the gear.

3. What's your previous backcountry ski experience:
Been out in the Tahoe area 5-6 times for day trips, but never around here. I did just take the AAIRE level 1 class last weekend, though!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:55 am 
UW Climber

Hey Ava,
I might be interested in your tentative trip, but not if its raining. I have the gear (will borrow beacon/probe/shovel), no car, and have moderate touring experience but am out of practice and out of shape (almost fully recovered!).

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:41 am 
UW Climber

I'd love to go, but i don't have skins or rando gear and I'd need to rent the shovel, probe and beacon. I have skied for my whole life so I have the skill, but not the gear. I have been wanting to try out backcountry skiing for a long time so this would probably be the perfect intro.
no car
2. Do you need to rent any gear (the club has beacons)
beacon, probe, shovel, (skins and rando gear, but I'd even go rent from a ski shop to make this happen)
3. What's your previous backcountry ski experience.
A small amount at crystal

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:56 am 
Duchess of Bearington

See updates on original post

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:15 pm 
UW Climber

This sounds awesome if the conditions work out

1) Car-less
2) Do not have to rent anything, have all the gear.
3) Moderate experience (mostly day tours; baker area, colorado and montana); started touring 1.5 yrs back and took Avy Level 1 last Feb. Looking to put more of those teachings into practice.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:40 pm 
UW Climber

So, I've obtained Skinz (now all I need is Endz), so I'm on my way.

I would like to rent avy equipment from the club, but sadly I'm in the unfortunate position of having paid for membership but not having obtained a card. I was gonna rectify this at the pub night, but I forgot about it and didn't come. :x Still hoping to rectify this somehow and end up coming, though.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:58 am 
Duchess of Bearington

Ok, it's time to be honest with ourselves - the weather looks downright terrible this weekend and the avy conditions are even worse. All the passes are forecasting "snow" in 36 degree weather and in my experience, that snow will feel more like rain.

So what does this mean? Let's try and do this next weekend - I will post again early next week, so please make sure to sign up there.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:08 am 
UW Climber

Agreed, good call Ava. Skiing in rain is miserable, especially when the snow has been rained on for 4 or 5 days already. Avy danger is high too. Yuck!