[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4770: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4772: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4774: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
The Climbing Club • View topic - SAT/SUN 11/27-28-10: Skiing?

The Climbing Club

at the University of Washington
It is currently Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:25 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:16 am 
UW Climber

Well, weekend is coming. Anyone for a ski touring somewhere over the w/e?

Valerie mentioned WA Pass, I wonder how Baker/Edmonds might be (enough snow to cover crevasses?)...

Any other ideas to tag a winter summit this Thanksgiving? Weather is not perfect, but if we wait for the weather...

Can drive, take three more...

Cheers,

Nelson

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:19 am 
One Armed Wonder

Likely no dice for WA pass area...
http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/traffic/passes/ ... ation.aspx

NORTH CASCADE HWY SR20rss
Elevation: 5477 ft / 1669 m
Temperature: 5ºF / -15ºC
Conditions:
Compact snow and ice. Avalanche danger could close North Cascades Highway on Friday
Weather:
Overcast skies
Restrictions EastBound:
No restrictions
Restrictions WestBound:
No restrictions

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:30 am 
UW Climber

Hi, Ian...
Thanks for the update... Yeap, is early in the season, not enough snow for some thing, enough to get us itchy. I posted mostly to gather people and ideas of ANY PLACE we can go, even Denali will be considered :-))

Seriously, any one with more outings in the BC in WA that know/thinks about a place this early in the season that can be a good outing for this w/e, please share the beta.

At least in my case, does not even need to be all skiing, happy to jump in my crampons and climb some easy alpine if anyone else is in... even ON camping in Alpental :D

Cheers and waiting for cold-weather partners !

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:36 am 
Raging Alpoholic

Hey Nelson,

So if you are talking about the Easton on Baker, I think that crevasses will be covered.... but that's only because the upper slopes of Baker are expected to get about 6 feet of snow Thurs-Sat! Yipes! I'm still up for a trip somewhere for sure. I have been very interested in the Cutthroat Pass tour on Sat, and something else on Sun (maybe Blue Lake area or a different run on the south side of Cutthroat). The current problem with this now is that the road may close before or during our trip. That is a bit of a gamble and could lead to a sucky drive on Sunday night, so I want to play it by ear for now as far as getting over the pass. We can see if it is still open Saturday and how much new snow is expected for the weekend (that means we won't be able to make the call until Friday night).

We can have a back-up trip in mind in case hwy 20 is a no-go. I'm open to suggestions on this, but am thinking Paradise Area, or something in the Teanaway area (what is access like there right now?), or perhaps the Enchantments (maybe Cashmere has enough snow....).

Sorry to be so indecisive right now, it is difficult to pick a solid destination with all of these variables, but I will be up for skiing somewhere!

Does anyone else have some ideas?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:10 pm 
One Armed Wonder

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:28 pm 
UW Climber

It looks like Baker is getting a ton of snow today and a TON tomorrow so Friday at Baker would be amazing. It also looks like paradise is going to receive a bunch Friday and Saturday so Paradise on Sunday would be good. Those are my suggestions.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:02 pm 
UW Climber

Ian, I agree with you, we need to be very careful, good to have the info of the NWAC now...

Valerie: I would hate to be stuck on US-20 :-(, however road is normally plowed up to where the winter route for Silver Star starts. So may be not exactly where you wanted to go, but we can be close by. Still, I agree with you, let's keep in contact and decide Friday night, Baker is a great option with tons of snow if there is some consolidation/stabilization of the fallen/falling snow...

Kurt: are you in for somewhere on Friday? And your options for Sat/Sun seemed like day trips, you are not in for ON camping?

All: if weather and avy danger really sucks, Snoqualmie is open starting tomorrow, actually will probably go tomorrow to warm up on easier terrain my pathetic downhill skiing skills (lot of enthusiasm, though), anyone?...

As Valerie said, sorry for the ups and down, season is just starting and planning is not easy, but willingness is important...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:06 pm 
UW Climber

I'm in for someplace on Friday. Baker?

Yeah, I'm really only interested in day trips. Sorry, got confused about what you were planning.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 4:06 pm 
UW Climber

I would love to do some skiing this weekend, either Sat or Sun! But hesitant about what the forecast has in store. I'll check back to see what the plan is later in the week and consider the conditions then, given that there is supposed to be so much new snow the next couple days. Glad to see that NWAC has started posting their reports!