[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4770: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4772: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4774: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
The Climbing Club • View topic - Skiing this weekend?

The Climbing Club

at the University of Washington
It is currently Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:59 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Skiing this weekend?
PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:35 pm 
UW Climber

Is anyone getting up into the mountains to ski this weekend? If so, I’d love to join!

I’ve been skiing all my life, just decided last year to get into BC skiing. I have all the BC ski and avy gear, and took an avy course last winter. I just have very little experience reading the conditions and navigating terrain, and am looking for some people with more experience to ski with.

Haven’t been able to make it to pub night recently to meet people, as Wednesdays are kind of heavy on the school work, but I’m really anxious to get to know people and start skiing!

Post or PM me, thanks!

-Aubrey

Post subject: Re: Skiing this weekend?
PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:46 pm 
One Armed Wonder

I'm hoping to go both days this weekend. Up in the North Cascades, by WA pass area, is where I was hoping to go, before the road closes. It will be snowy! I was thinking of just car-camping on sat-night and just playing around in the area during the days.
Alternatively... and I know several friends who were interested (Nelson, Andrew, Val) in one-day so we could get a bigger gang together, head up to the baker area (table mt) or down to crystal area and do a day-trip. Let me know what your thoughts are!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:59 pm 
UW Climber

I just found out I can get my skis mounted today and would love to get some BC action. It will be my first time skinning though.

Ian, what's the deal with Rainier? Does all the fresh snow make it extremely avy prone. I thought the way up to Muir was low angle enough to not be a serious avy concern.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 2:03 pm 
Alpine Slogger

Kurt, you have to watch the slopes directly below Pan Point, it slides there frequently...

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 2:04 pm 
UW Climber

Yeah, I meant to include besides the short section below Pan Point, I thougth that would be the only place steep enough.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 2:15 pm 
One Armed Wonder

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 2:16 pm 
UW Climber

Ian, I would most definitely be up for a day trip to Baker or Crystal with a group. Either day works for me, if it’s going to be tomorrow let me know as soon as you can so I can pull all my stuff together– I’ll be sure to check the forum, or just call, my number is 206-200-1961. I should mention, I have a car too, which could fit about 3-4 people with skis and gear.

Kurt, I’d love to ski sometime, I’m fairly new to skinning as well, and sounds like we may both be new to navigating avy terrain.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 2:28 pm 
UW Climber

Yeah, but isn't it a bit early in the season to go skiing unders trees (low snow cover)? I know last Thursday Paradise to Muir was not that well covered and I'm assuming Rainier gets a lot more snow than most places.

As for pan point, I'm pretty sure you can boot up though the trees to the right if you're worried about Avy condition.

I'm really interested in a day trip Sunday on Rainier. Head up to Muir or just tour around. NOAA said there'll be a bunch of snow coming Sat and much less on Sunday, so I though Sunday would be better.

Let me know what you guys want to do so I can decided whether to mount my skis or kill myself squating and bouldering today. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 2:42 pm 
One Armed Wonder

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 2:49 pm 
Raging Alpoholic

Cool! Definitely count me in for Sunday at Baker then!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 2:55 pm 
UW Climber

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:10 pm 
UW Climber

I'm in. Either day works. I'm not too familiar with either place though. I'd prefer the one with fewer chances for putting holes in my skis if there's a difference?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:12 pm 
UW Climber

Ian, I would definitely like to join you for a trip tomorrow and probably Sunday (lm happy to go wherever). Let me know what the plan is.

-Adam

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:17 pm 
One Armed Wonder

dude, that TR was from the 13th... its snowed feet since then. don't worry about it. i'm away from my puter for a bit, but i'll count you for Sunday.

EVERYONE NEEDS AVY BEACON /PROBES /SHOVELS!!! i think most everyone does, but just had to make sure... It'd be good to practice with them some more if people haven't for a while.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:21 pm 
One Armed Wonder

Here is the list that I've seen. I will update this according to new posts

Saturday
The Cast:
Charlie.
Adam.
Ian
Dave.
The setup: We're going to Crystal Area. We'll prob be organizing off the forum. Back by 8ish.
The result: Gnar shredded. I got a core shot, but I don't care!

Sunday
The Cast:
Val
Kurt
Andrew
Andrew's Friend?
Ian
Aubrey

The Setup:
I won't be here tomorrow and I'll out of cell range until I'm not. I'll try to touch base with you tonight or tomorrow evening. But it sounds like we definitely have two car sizes. Leaving 6:00 from Lynwood park and ride.

The Location:
Around Mt. Baker Ski area. I've been up the Table Mt. area but there's many more options. I'll look at some options later tonight, but If you can browse on the netz for great TR's and whatnot that could definitely help.

Call if needbe: 206-235-9557.