[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4770: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4772: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4774: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
The Climbing Club • View topic - UWCC Fall Vantage Trip!

The Climbing Club

at the University of Washington
It is currently Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:49 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: UWCC Fall Vantage Trip!
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:26 pm 
Raging Alpoholic

Hey Everyone!
I will be putting together a last minute UWCC fall Vantage trip this Sunday. I’m am hoping for some sunny climbing, but the forecast is moderately iffy. I think that it will still be OK though (it always has been sunny for me).

Vantage is a great location for sport climbing, practicing crack climbing and getting in your first sport climbing leads (very close bolts!). It is especially wonderful in the shoulder seasons, ‘cause it is the last place that you can still find a taste of summer around here.

All climbing skill levels are welcome (grades range from 5.4 to 5.12) but please know how to belay, bring personal gear (shoes, harness, HELMET, belay device), and anything else that you may want for the day. There are absolutely NO AMENITIES at Vantage, not even a portable-toilet anymore.

If you are interested in joining the trip list:
1. Do you have a car?
2. Do you have a rope/draws?
3. Experience (so that I have an idea what area at Vantage is best to take the group)

We will meet at the Ravenna and 65th park and ride at 6:30 (don’t forget daylight savings time here; it will feel like 7:30), load into cars and try to squeeze in about 7 hours of climbing. With a big group we will get in tons of climbs!

I will be capping the group size this year at 25 (less if we don’t get enough experience folks with group gear), because I don’t have time to organize group gear for everyone. So if you are sure that you want to go, reply ASAP. Hope to see you there!!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:28 pm 
Raging Alpoholic

I guess this means I'm going to Vantage!

1. I have a car that can bring 3 others
2. I have a rope and draws
3. I lead 5.8 trad and 5.10 sport

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:16 pm 
UW Climber

I'm in (provided the weather stays nice), and probably Lisa too.
1. Have car, but would rather bum a ride.
2. Lots of stuff.
3. I can go up.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:45 am 
stick clip

I guess I know what I'm doing this weekend!

1. No car :(
2. 1 rope/sport rack
3. Lead up to 5.8 sport, climb up to ~5.9. Do not lead trad, but would be stoked to follow someone and start learning placements.
*Would love some crack/jamming practice

Last edited by Jason Kowitz on Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:41 am 
UW Climber

Rain or shine, I'm in. Although I'd much rather go to Leavenworth since I went to Vantange last weekend. (If anyone sees this and wants to go to Leavenworth, let me know).

1. No car this weekend.
2. Too much crap
3. 5.10 sport (maybe), 5.6 trad maybe 5.7

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:36 pm 
UW Climber

I'm in, provided I get a helmet from the IMA

1. no car

2. no rope, but I do have 4 draws

3. I have led up to 5.10 sport

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:47 pm 
UW Climber

If there's room, I'm in!
1. No car
2. no rope
3. have lead 5.8 sport, but everyone else that's responded can lead higher, so I guess I have no real assets to post about!

Also, since I haven't done anything with the club this year and I'm leaving on exchange at the end of the quarter, I haven't payed my dues for this year, should I pay dues to the club for this trip? If so, where do I do that?

Annika

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:17 pm 
UW Climber

Ohh! I'd love to go if I can :)

1. No car
2. Rope and rack
3. I like to climb. Not super strong at the moment but getting it back

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:40 pm 
UW Climber

Would love to go!

1. I have a car that can seat 4 comfortably counting myself
2. I have the necessary gear for myself, but no ropes or anything
3. I've never done any lead climbing and have never even climbed outdoors with the exception of mountaineering stuff. I climb about 5.9 or so in the gym. It looks like everyone on the trip is a far better climber than I am, so I can definitely wait for another trip if you guys decide you would like it to be a more advanced trip. Just let me know!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:02 am 
Raging Alpoholic

Hey,

The forecast for Sunday is worse this morning ... I'll check for an update this afternoon. If the trip doesn't go this weekend, I will head out there again (and post another trip plan) as soon as we have a good day. Hopefully the weather will improve again!

Sounds like a good group. I think that we can all head over to Sunshine Wall or the Millenium wall area. There's anything from 5.6-5.12 in those areas so all skill levels will still have plenty of routes available there. If we had a very beginner heavy group, I was considering the Feathers as a possibility for some of us.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:53 am 
UW Climber

What about tomorrow, Saturday?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:42 pm 
UW Climber

I'm interested... but looking at the weather Saturday looks way better, and camping might get us some AM climbing on sunday??

whats the plan val? is this still a go?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:42 pm 
Raging Alpoholic

I'm waiting for the 3pm(ish) weather update on NOAA.

Saturday is better. I have to run an experiment.... ugh! Stay tuned!
Is a group interested in organizing themselves to get out there Saturday and camp? I can get out of here on Saturday at noon.... are you guys interested in a Saturday noon-Sunday trip? Can anyone not make it if we left here on Saturday at noon? Sorry to get complicated.

Zoe- as long as there is a reasonable chance that we'll be able to climb, it will be a go!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:51 pm 
Raging Alpoholic

UPDATE: my labmate, Chris, is AWESOME.

Can you all be ready for a 2-day Vantage trip?!! Can we meet at the 65th and Ravenna Park and ride tomorrow at 7:30 am and climb all day, camp and try to climb Sunday as long as it stays dry? Does that work for you guys??

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:22 pm 
UW Climber

okie, i'll prob see you folks there saturday, just set up plans with a couple friends for a 6:30am departure.
Val, if there is one more who needs a ride, I can prob. work something out to take them...otherwise, i'll see yah there!