[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4770: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4772: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4774: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
The Climbing Club • View topic - Wintery Sunday Alternative

The Climbing Club

at the University of Washington
It is currently Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:42 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:45 pm 
experienced hiker of the climbing club

While climbing in Vantage does sound rather grand, I'm in the mood to try something a bit snowier and closer to home.

My thought is to head out along Rt. 2 to Johnson Ridge. The route is about 11 miles RT to Scorpion Mtn with 3300' of gain. I'm a little uncertain about how far up the access road we'll be able to drive, but my hope is that the snow level has remained just high enough to get us close.

Link to trail info here: http://www.fs.fed.us/r6/mbs/recreation/ ... d_1067.htm

Michelle, Picket, and I will be heading out and we can take one other. The more the merrier for this sort of thing, since it's too early in the season to use snowshoes and breaking trail for the rest of the party is a bit of a grunt.

If interested, you will need:
- warm layers
- waterproof layers (snow showers throughout the day Sunday)
- boots
- gaiters
- hat and gloves

Trekking poles likely to be helpful.

Benefits include a first look at winter, baked goods from the Sultan Bakery, and watching Picket go nuts in the snow.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:11 pm 
UW Climber

Watching Picket go nuts in the snow is well worth it! Highly recommended

(I meanwhile, will stick to Vantage. Hopefully I can enjoy Picket in the snow later in the season :) )

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:27 pm 
Dr. Crevasse

I'm in. I can drive if more folks want to join.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 2:13 am 
UW Climber

I am interested but it depends on how much work i can get done tomorrow.
I don't have gaiters in the meantime so is there any method of making home-made gaiters?
I'll update tomorrow evening with exact answer.
And i don't have a car so i'll need a lift.

-thanks, harry

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 11:27 am 
receiving spoon

Vantage sounds nice, but I'd rather get my heart pumping and legs working through 3300 feet of postholing. Need a ride, have all the gear.

Lucas

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 12:17 pm 
Alpine Slogger

I'll drive, can take 3 more plus gear. I have all I need, and more...

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 12:34 pm 
Dr. Crevasse

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 12:50 pm 

Harry, I have a spare pair of gaitors that I'll bring for you. Put the duct tape down.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 5:27 pm 

So, how does this sound for a plan:

Car 1:
Brian
Michelle
Picket
Jim

Car 2:
Brian D.
Lucas
Harry

Plan to leave Seattle around 6:30 and rally at the Sultan Bakery?

If we get stopped by snow too far down on the access road for the walk to be any fun, the backup is Surprise Lake and Spark Plug Mtn.

Does this work for everyone?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 5:47 pm 
UW Climber

Hey Brian,

If there's still room I'd like in for the hike. I can drive and fit four with me. I have all the gear you suggested but no gaiters unfortunately. Is it possible to get away with them or should I try to get them(I won't have time to buy any today).

matt

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 6:09 pm 

Matt - we have room for you in Brian's car, but we're going to be tromping through 2+ feet of fresh, so your feet will get very snowy without gaiters...

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 6:41 pm 
UW Climber

Great Brain P, that'll be great. So im definitely in now.
Where are we meeting then?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 7:52 pm 

Harry - Brian D should give you a call about meeting up. Last minute call to bring snowshoes.

Harry, Lucas, Matt - we'll be bringing a pair for each you (unless you already have some).

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:03 pm 
The Pub Czar