[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4770: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4772: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4774: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
The Climbing Club • View topic - Vesper Peak Hike/Scramble Sunday 10/11 [UPDATES]

The Climbing Club

at the University of Washington
It is currently Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:06 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:43 am 
Alpine Slogger

I'm organizing a moderate hike/scramble for club members new and old. The destination is Vesper Peak on the Mountain Loop Highway. The hike is about 10 miles round trip, with 4000' of elevation gain. There is a trail to beneath Vesper Peak (steep an rough at times) and then an easy scramble (class 2) to the summit. No specialized gear required, just weather appropriate clothing, a pack to carry extra clothes, food and water (I'd suggest that everyone take 2L of water. Running out of water is not a good thing) and a sturdy pair of shoes or boots with good soles. Trekking poles are also fairly helpful. There is a fair bit of snow at the higher elevations already this year, and mud below, so boots are highly recommended. I would bring an extra pair of socks for the way home, and some warm clothes as it will be on the chilly side. Please try to avoid cotton clothing as you may get cold and unpleasent. We will go to the lake, and make a call on the scramble based on conditions.

We'll be leaving Seattle around 6:30 am on Sunday morning at the Burke Museum Parking lot.

Drivers: I'd like to plan to rally at the Verlot Ranger station (google maps to Verlot, WA). Verlot is a little over 1 hour from Seattle and the last place to buy a Forest pass. Contact me if you need more info.
From the ranger station, we'll caravan up the road to the trailhead (TH)
Also, there is no gas past Granite Falls.
Directions:
I've created a Google Map with the Directions from the Burke Parking lot (take a look on Satellite if you aren't familiar) to the Verlot service station. Drivers, we will caravan to the TH, but I've added a set of directions to the TH, so you can get an idea of where we are going.

Those getting rides: It was mentioned at the meeting, but the general way rides work in the club is that if you get a ride with someone, please plan on paying for your portion of the gas. Drivers are essential for getting everyone into the mountains, so be kind to your driver, and don't stiff them the gas money! 8)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
:!: :!: :!: Friday Update: I've just looked at the forecast for Sunday, and while we will be getting sun and views, its going to be down right cold! Highs are only projected to be in the high 30s, and it will be in the 20s in the morning. Also there is some wind in the forcast, which will make it feel colder. So warm clothes are a MUST!. Please bring plenty of layers (fleece, sweater, heavy jacket, all of the above) as well as a warm hat and a pair of gloves. You will warm up while moving, but when we stop you will get cold quick. If you show up dressed for a warm fall day, we will have to turn you away :cry: If for some reason this no longer sounds fun, please contact me ASAP, so we aren't waiting for you at the Burke. :!: :!: :!:

In other news: We found a couple more car spots (29/32). If you want to come (and don't have a car), and your name is not below, please call me or post before noon Sat.(number is in my profile info) and we'll see what we can do.

Driver, Passengers (this is subject to change as of 10:30pm Friday)

Brian Doehle - Harry, mayakrek, Jing N.
Amittai - Lucas, Carolina, Connie
Ava - Courtney, David Syphers, Jessih
Kurt - Dylan, Erinsp, Daniel Sasser
Ian - Zoe, Meggie, Florian
Tim Ott - Nick McMillan, Michael Cornea, David Dawson
Dave G. - Nathan S., Andy, Peony, Lucy?

Last edited by Brian Doehle on Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:49 pm, edited 23 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:47 am 
Alpine Slogger

I will be attending this festive gathering.

1. I have a car, and can drive it. Room for 3 more and gear, I have a forest pass
2. I have all necessary gear to keep myself warm and dry
3. I need nothing from the IMA
4. I'm an experienced hiker, and a intermediate scrambler.

I'm totally stoked, b/c I've somehow never made it up Vesper, and I can't wait to meet all the fresh faces!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:15 pm 
The Pub Czar

1. I also have a car, and can drive it. Room for +3 more, and I have a forest pass.
2. I have all necessary gear to keep myself warm and dry, plus some extra warm layers to lend.
3. nothing from the IMA.
4. I can be Doehle's second.

only 2 posts in and we already have 6 open car spots :)

Last edited by amit tai on Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:31 pm 
receiving spoon

I will claim one of those open car spots!

1. I have no car. I unfortunately do not have the endurance to bike to the Vesper Peak trail, go up Vesper peak, and bike home in one day. Oh well.
2. I have plenty of stuff for warmth and water repellingness
3. No gear needed to check out
4. I am an intermediate scrambler as well.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 4:51 pm 
UW Climber

Sounds good.

1. no car. I do have a NW forest pass, although it doesn't sound like it's needed.
2. I'm equipped.
3. nope.
4. experienced scrambler, although I haven't scrambled in a long time (~1-1.5 years). (I have done some hiking, though, so I'm not completely out of shape :) )

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:08 pm 
UW Climber

1. Need a ride
2 & 3 I'm equipped
4. New to the climbing club, did the hike/scramble last week and have done a couple before, but not extensively

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:24 pm 
One Armed Wonder

1. Have car. Room for 2 more
2. Got Gear
3. Got it.
4. I've scrambled up a few big things.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:36 pm 
UW Climber

1. I have a car, but don't have to drive it.
2. Got it.
3. Nope.
4. A couple peaks class 2-3, nothing serious really.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:17 pm 
UW Climber

I'd like to come along if theres room.
1)I need a ride. Will pitch in for Daypass and Gas for whoever is taking me.
2)I have warm clothes and should have a good waterproof jacket by Sunday
3)Will i need these things? I have a bag and a water bottle.
4)New to climbing club. Did last weekends hike and survived. In pretty good shape so i should be alright for a 10 mile hike.

-Harry

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:15 pm 
UW Climber

I should be reading, but instead I want to join you for Vesper :)

1. I need a ride, please
2. & 3 I'm sorted
4. Experienced hiker, average scrambler...? (plenty of UK grade 3 scrambles, translate grade at will. Other than last weekend I've not done anything over here, so I've no idea how the activity compares)

Is there an estimate to when we might be getting back?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:27 pm 
UW Climber

I would love to go if you would love for me to come.

1. I do not have a car.
2. I'm covered.
3. Will I be not be able to check these things out myself? If not then it would be cool to get a pack. I can always grab my room mate's in a pinch.
4. I'm a pretty good hiker with a little scrambling experience.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:30 am 
Duchess of Bearington

I too should perpetually be reading, but I'm all in for the Vesper trip...

1. I have a car, but no NW pass (though really i should just get one and am not opposed to getting one this weekend)
2. have warm clothes, boots, helmet, etc
3. don't need to check anything out
4. experienced hiker, intermediate-ish scrambler

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:52 am 
UW Climber

Hey, my name is Nick McMillan and I'm psyched for this upcoming climb. I do some hiking for fun, but I've never been part of a legit club. I don't have a car and I don't know how this whole thing works, so please give me a call...I will be at the meeting however. 360-713-3540. Thanks, and I can't wait to climb to the top of this experienced group :)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:57 am 
Alpine Slogger

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:49 pm 
UW Climber

1 - I don't have a car
2 & 3 - Have the equipment I need
4 - I've done quite a lot of hiking and scrambling, but I'm a bit out of shape so hopefully this hike will help with that :)