[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4770: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4772: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4774: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
The Climbing Club • View topic - Home Brewing

The Climbing Club

at the University of Washington
It is currently Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:07 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Home Brewing
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 3:38 pm 
UW Climber

I learned this past weekend on the Elfin Lakes trip (among other things) that there are a few home brewers/prospective home brewers in the club. So there was some interest in a beer recipes and methods thread. Here it is, so let's see what we can get up on here to make our next club meeting/social event perhaps entirely "catered" by members' brews.

Ethan's idea of a recipe template is particularly important for beer - there is a special relationship between amounts and timing in brewing so a sequential recipe is a great way to keep things from getting confused. I generally write mine up as follows (this is for a partial mash/extract+grain recipe)

This is a recipe for a very simple beer (a "Kolsch" I will be brewing this weekend actually) and can be adjusted for any beer style.

Steep at 160 degrees F in 3 gallons (30 min)
1/2 lb. CaraFoam (15 L)
1/2 lb. German Pils (3 L)

Rinse with 2 gallons 170 degree water, and bring entire 5 gallon batch to boil, add -
3 lbs Pilsner malt extract (Breiss)
3 lbs Extra light DME

1.5 oz. Czech Saaz (3.2%AA) whole leaf hops (60 minutes)
1 lb. Fireweed honey (15 min.)
1 tsp. Irish moss (15 min.)
1.0 oz. Czech Saaz (10 min.)
10 thread saffron at the end of boil (now you all know the secret - Nicht nach dem Reinheitsgebot, es tut mir wirklich Leid)

Cool and pitch Wyeast #2565, ferment in primary 2-3 weeks at cold ale temp (max 60 F)

Rack to secondary and lay as cool as possible for 3-4 weeks.

Filter through 0.5 micron pad and bottle with one package dry ale yeast and 3/4 c. corn sugar.

That is all there is to it. Hopefully this takes off and we can get some folks exchanging recipes.

Nathan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 7:15 pm 
The 11th Essential

Nathan, thanks for kicking this off. I've never attempted to brew my own beer, but it might be a good time for me to start - could you point out some good local or online suppliers of the specialized materials and ingredients needed for brewing?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:29 pm 
Longshanks

Not exactly online, but there's "Bob's Homebrew", which is right across the street from my place.

Post subject: Suppliers and supplies
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 7:53 am 
UW Climber

Bob's Homebrew is at 55th & 28th NE and the Cellar Homebrew is on Greenwood way up north almost at 145th. Mountain homebrew is online but in Kirkland as well and there is another, I think called Northwest brew supply in Anacortes. I prefer the Cellar but find myself usually going in between the two to find ingredients sometimes. Both places have very knowledgeable staff. The Cellar has a standard starter kit that runs you about $90 (ingredients for the first batch of beer included!), but to that you have to add a stock pot capable of boiling 5 gallons of liquid without running over onto your stove. Unless you can find one at Goodwill (and I looked for several months), that will almost double the price of the kit. But it serves a double purpose in that after you buy that you could easily cook a small child.

Nathan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 10:47 am 
Moss Man

I've been to Bob's homebrew - seems like a knowlegable and friendly outfit with all the props. Close to the U-dist too. I haven't done beer brewing myself, but I can produce a firey Ginger Beer! (recipe forthcoming...)

- Kevin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 10:53 am 
Alpine Slogger

For online resources I would consider William's Brewing (California) or Homebrew.com (North Carolina) as good places to start.

I might get flamed for this, but if people are thinking about starting homebrewing consider buying a beginer recipe kit from one of the above suppliers. Everything you need are in those kits, and you can make really good beer with them. All you have to do is know what type of beer you like to drink, and pick a kit that matches. This is how I and countless other brewers got into the hobby.

I would also highly recomend a book or two, such as How to Brew by John Palmer.

Hooking up with a more expericed brewer will help when you want to make the move from simple recipe kits to more advanced techniques like partial mashing and all grain brewing.

Post subject: Re: Home Brewing
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 5:24 pm 
UW Climber

Post subject: Re: Home Brewing
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 1:54 pm 
Alpine Slogger

Post subject: Filtering
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 6:48 am 
UW Climber

First off, the 0.5 micron should be 5 micron. The 0.5 dimension is the holes on my aeration stone. I have used sterile syringe filters with large in- and output put openings in the racking line before bottling. You can get them at chemistry supply. I needed two because the one clogged after about 2 gallons were pulled through. So just be sure to put the pinch off on your racking tube above it and you are set. I have done it with an oak-aged barleywine to get the wood chips out and a dry-hopped pils to get the last of the hop leaves out.

Nathan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 3:22 pm 
UW Climber

Since we seem to have a lot of brewers, I brought up the idea over the Vesper Peak assault that we ought to try to get together, come up with a recipe that we can all ferment in the primary and throw in a Bourbon keg for the secondary. Ian had the equally good idea of making it for the Spring campout. Who out there might be interested in this? I am thinking barley wine, but would be open to Imperial Stout if people had really strong feelings in that direction. I am currently trying to source the barrel and will post an update when I learn more about that.

Nathan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 4:37 pm 
Alpine Slogger

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:51 am 
The Shepherd

Count me in for a barleywine as well.