The Climbing Club

at the University of Washington
It is currently Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:26 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Vantage 7/22
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 8:08 am 
Burly Skinner

On Sunday, Aaron Hassock, two of his friends (Anna and JJ) and myself sought to avoid truly ridiculous July weather by heading over to Vantage. I don’t know what the first warning should have been… maybe when Aaron called me to say he would be twenty minutes late because his cat had soiled his house. It could have been when Aaron was certain he knew where the other two were meeting us in Issaquah, only to realize we were on the wrong side of the freeway. Or perhaps when we stopped at a Starbucks in Issaquah and saw a man wearing an epic Mt. Si shirt. Or it could have been when we returned to the car which Aaron had borrowed from Mommy and realized that we couldn’t open it without setting off the alarm, which we did, promptly driving off with the alarm blaring, only to find out that the alarm continued to go off while we were driving on the freeway. So we pulled over and cut the wires to the alarm.
Maybe all those events in a row should have alerted us to the fact that our stars just weren’t aligned quite right… because somehow, through a combination of inattention and having Harry Potter in the backseat, we managed to take the wrong route to Vantage and effectively doubled our driving time. Lovely.
So we arrived at Vantage at the ripe time of 1:30 in the pm, found some climbing in the feathers and did a couple routes. Then decided to head over to the M&M wall… but discounting Aaron’s call of “I know this other trail goes there for sure, but I guess we can try the one you are on…” we managed to spend a good deal of time on a traverse around the rocks in what was probably the longest way to Sunshine wall imaginable… but finding the “crux” of the day… an exposed little jumping move when one of us was in sandals and another was in flip-flops we turned around and hightailed it back to the correct trail. Finally getting over to M&M we managed only one more climb before it was time to head out.

In all, the trip had a terrible approach to climbing ratio, but nice weather and sunshine nevertheless.