[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4770: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4772: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4774: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
The Climbing Club • View topic - Trip report forums

The Climbing Club

at the University of Washington
It is currently Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:41 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 1:41 pm 
That goat computes better than me!

sounds fine with me. should be easy to do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 2:59 pm 
Jer-Bear

I like "Other USA" and "Int'l" as separate forums. It's fun to browse the ones from around the world and easy if they are kept apart.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 3:03 pm 
The 11th Essential

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 3:04 pm 
experienced hiker of the climbing club

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 4:59 pm 
UW Climber

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 8:17 pm 
UW Climber

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 3:55 pm 
Banana Nut

It was noted some years ago that the Beckey format for TR's was kind of arbitrary and rather obtuse for beginners to grasp (why have seperate forums for the north and south sides of Hwy 2?? Does a trip to Manning park go in the Canada forum or the Beckey 3 forum? What if I rarely use the Beckey guides?).

My suggestion for TR forums (fora) - use or ignore at will:

North Cascades (Mtn Loop, NCNP, etc.)
Central/South WA Cascades (US 2, I-90, Rainier, Adams, etc.)
Elsewhere in Washington (Frenchman's, Olympics, Spokane, etc.)
Oregon/California (all those trips to Smith)
Rest of US (Alaska, Delaware, etc.)
Canada (good times, eh?)
International
UW rock (doesn't it deserve its own forum? post problems, bbqs, etc.)
or maybe a Seattle forum (post outings to slide shows, best of Banff, climbing comps, etc.)

That would still cut down the number of forums by 1 (and you know, the UW rock forum was kind of a joke). I dunno, I guess the cragging forum could stay too, so the number could stay at 10.

I especially suggest changing if the club is going to become the UW outdoor club rather than the UWCC.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 4:54 pm 
A Sophomore

I agree that the Beckey format is really confusing at first, and since i still don't own a copy of any of his books, i'd be all for changing the format to something more obvious. I still have to look at a map every time i want to figure out where the trip reports are from! Dan's suggestion is a reasonable alternative.

Is there a way to search through the forum? If so, i don't really see much point in subdividing the TRs so much.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 5:16 pm 
That goat computes better than me!

Yes, there is a search, but it's not the greatest. Things need to be spelled correctly (both in the search and in the post) and be specified in the title. (Searching the text would be silly, as "G/glacier" and "Rainier' would turn up in a lot of places.) More confusion happens with multiple Red/Green/Granite Mtns.

There's also the activity of browsing, not just searching. For browsing, I like the idea of categories (not necessarily these). I don't want to browse through everything at once
(this is a downside of NWHikers IMHO).

For most every category partitioning, there will be something that doesn't fit. In Dan's example, where do the Entiats go? Maybe it really doesn't matter.

I like the idea of having a separate cragging category. I hate it how on CC.com, DHLA goes into North Cascades, and X38 goes into Alpine Lakes. Their rock climbing forum isn't used for TRs. Pebble wrestling can be folded under cragging.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 6:02 pm 
experienced hiker of the climbing club

I'd like to keep the Conservation/Access forum, especially if the club is interested in getting involved in doing any volunteer work with the WTA.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 6:50 pm 
UW Climber

I actually wonder if activity based topics wouldnt be more fitting for this website. Sure their would be ambiguity, but it would better showcase the multi-faceted nature of the trips here. It might even encourage more new users.

I suggest

Snowshoeing

Hiking

Backcountry Skiing

Mountaineering

Alpine Rock/Ice

Bouldering

Ice Climbing

Sport Climbing

Trad Climbing

International Adventures

Personally I think this would make it easier to find TRs I am interested in reading. I feel pretty confident, just building off our current archives, all of these topics would have more posts than Olympics/Alaska.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 7:28 pm 
UW Climber

I like Mike's suggestions- the simpler the better, I think. Becky is a bit confusing- lets just split the state and half, like mike proposed.

I don't really like the idea of doing it by activity- there is waaay to much mixing and ambiguity amongst those activities, and sorting the archives would be a massive undertaking.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 7:53 pm 
ferous wolvineerian

Jason's idea is cool.

Last edited by Eric Gratz on Tue Dec 16, 2008 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 11:23 pm 
The 11th Essential

Jason, your idea is a good one, but it might be best to reduce the number of categories. I'd be worried about how Backcountry Skiing could overlap Mountaineering could overlap Alpine Rock/Ice, or Ice Climbing with Alping Rock/Ice, or Snowshoeing and Mountaineering...

I'll try to think of better ways of phrasing them that might remove that ambiguity.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 10:35 pm 
UW Climber

uh oh, I'm being consolidated. haha, thats what I get for hanging out too long down here. :wink: