[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4770: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4772: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4774: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
The Climbing Club • View topic - Hello World!

The Climbing Club

at the University of Washington
It is currently Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:11 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hello World!
PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:24 pm 
UW Climber

Hey guys! Here's the first (finally) of hopefully many posts to come about organizing a UW climbing team. My name is David Ackerman. Many of you who climb at the UW IMA or Stone Gardens may know me as I climb far too much. I'm trying to get a feel for whether or not people would be interested in creating a UW climbing team similar to, say, Vertical World or Stone Garden's teams.

We will be entirely focused on rock climbing as a sport, emphasizing bouldering and sport climbing. We'd also promote a training schedule with weekly meetings at the IMA or Stone Gardens. Myself and Alex Spott, another very strong climber, would try and lead some training sessions to improve climbing skills and strength. If you are at all interested please respond or drop by the IMA and let myself or Matt know.

The climbing season is upon us and I know you all are anxious to get out there and climb hard. Think of this as a great opportunity to improve your climbing to that next level. All skill levels are welcome!

David

Post subject: Re: Hello World!
PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:15 pm 
Tenacious Lee

I'm not familiar with the Vertical World or Stone Gardens climbing teams, is the idea to have a group of people get together to improve their climbing? Is there any formal competition? Will there be any fee?

Thanks for putting this together, seems like a good way to build skills!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:29 pm 
UW Climber

I'd be interested, let me know what happens with this.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 2:15 am 
UW Climber

Yeah, I'm interested.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 1:47 pm 
UW Climber

There won't be a fee associated with joining this team. One of our objectives will be to build a regular training program to increase strength and skills. Furthermore, there is an annual NW comp circuit at several universities around. It's called the NC3 and here's a link to the main blog concerning it: .

The next competition is tomorrow at Central Washington University. After that we have the Rain City Send at our own IMA. That is one everyone should come to. It is a ton of fun, and we'll have lots of great swag to pick up. Even if you feel like you're not too strong of a climber there are divisions for everyone. Also, placing in the competitions will earn our school points towards the overall team scores.

Besides the NC3, there are a few comps each year at our local gyms like Stone Gardens and Vertical World. These will be fun to attend, though there is no team aspect other than rooting on your friends.

Competitions are a blast and I highly recommend going to at least one or two during your climbing career to see if you enjoy them. Plus there's usually awesome swag to get!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 2:03 pm 
UW Climber

What kind of training program?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:45 pm 
UW Climber

I would be in! Keep me posted

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:52 pm 
UW Climber

Count me in too, i'd really like to take part in Rain City Send when that comes along!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:54 am 
Raging Alpoholic

I'm interested.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:52 pm 
UW Climber

I'm interested..

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:09 am 
UW Climber

Alright! This is great! Sounds like a lot of people are interested. I'm thinking about this for a format for training sessions, though I am totally open to suggestions. We pick two or three days a week to do a solid training session of 1-2 hrs. I think most people seem to come into the gym around 6ish, so we would probably want to avoid the peak times.

My idea for how the sessions will go is that the first few will be to get a feel for where everyone is at, skill-wise. Then we can begin to focus on where we want to build strengths, be it for bouldering or route climbing. There will definitely be some of both, as we need to work on both to be well-rounded climbers, though some sessions may be more ropes oriented or vice versa.

Let's try and meet twice next week before the gym closes for the Rain City Send, say, Monday at 5 and Thursday at 7. Hopefully everyone can come to at least one of these sessions. These aren't permanent times, so if you can't make it please pm me. They'll go for about an hour, so if you can't get there right when it starts, we'll be there for a while. Hope to see everyone there!

David

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:51 am 
Raging Alpoholic

Sounds great, but I won't have IMA access until fall when I will be an official student again (I'm staff now and would need to pay just to get into the IMA). Is there any way around needing access to the IMA just to use the climbing gym? I have a membership at Stone Gardens and would be glad to meet up if you guys decide to have training sessions there. I'm there almost every Thursday at 7.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:25 pm 
UW Climber

I too have a membeship to Stone Gardens, so we could try to alternate between the two gyms if people so desire. Personally, I think SG is a better gym for training for bouldering due to its overhanging walls, though the IMA has larger walls for endurance training.

The problem with SG, though is that it can be prohibitively expensive for those without a membership, and I don't want to require people to buy a membership to train with us. I figured that most people here would have access to the IMA through UW, though I'm down to do a separate weekly session over at SG.

I'll make a separate thread to see who has memberships there/would be interested in doing weekly training sessions at SG.