[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4770: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4772: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4774: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
The Climbing Club • View topic - Mountain Dining Guide

The Climbing Club

at the University of Washington
It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2019 2:13 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:28 pm 
The 11th Essential

Results from WTA's Hungry Hikers Survey:
http://www.wta.org/trail-news/news/hung ... y%20hikers

Thought it might open up new prospects.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:38 pm 
UW Climber

Thrifty Food Pavillion in Arlington. Burger Barn was closed :( so we tried Arlington's hopping supermarket. Deli mustard potato salad was really good, fried chicken somewhat missed the mark, but still satisfying for a late hungry dinner. Shirt and shoes optional. Slow cashier service provides opportunity to catch up on local gossip, such as due dates and car troubles. Scenic open-air parking lot dining offers a parade of unique cars.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:59 pm 
The 11th Essential

Has anyone tried the slow-smoked bbq sandwich place by the gas station in Marblemount?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 4:33 pm 
Tenacious Lee

The Little Caesar's in Monroe has a deal where you can get a ready made pepperoni or cheese pizza for $5.43 (that's with tax); not exactly fine dining but damn did it taste good after a long day of climbing.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 6:47 pm 
The 11th Essential

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:03 am 
One Armed Wonder

http://www.google.com/local?oe=utf8&ie= ... l=en&q=pub
The archer alehouse in Fairhaven. Has pretty damn good (filling) food. The shepards pie and the mac'n'cheese could easily fill 3 hungry people. Good brews availble too.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:42 pm 
The 11th Essential

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:25 am 
Frodo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:56 pm 
The 11th Essential

Thanks, Erin. I can't wait to be back in the again this fall (hopefully), and check out your haunt!

To contribute: Obadiah and Grace introduced me to the beer and meat phenomenon that is Smokin' Dave's BBQ & Taphouse, in Estes Park, CO, the gateway to Rocky Mountain National Park. The portions are catered to enormous post-mountain appetites.
http://www.smokindavesbbqandtaphouse.com/

(keep them coming! once critical mass is reached, i'll start adding to the map)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:09 pm 
Mountain Rhombus

I can make some Alaskan contributions I suppose.

Petersburg, AK - If anyone crazy feels the need to climb the Devil's Thumb or Burkett Neddle I suggest grabbing some grub at Coastal Cold Storage. Its right downtown next to the True Value. Amazing breakfast sandwhiches and some pretty good fried halibut bits for lunch. They can also filet, package and ship your fish if you're doing any fishing.

Juneau, AK - Southeast Waffle Company. As you might imagine from the name they make some really tasty waffles. For some reason they opened later than I had hoped though and I had to sit on the beach across the street and watch

Anchorage, AK - Midnight Sun Brewing Co. My favorite brewery. They have a really nice tasting room that now offers some appetizer type items. They have 20 or so of their beers on tap usually...most of which are amazing (except Jupiter). They can only serve you 24 ounces of beer though I believe because they are not an actual bar (I know regulation in Alaska...crazy!), but fill a growler and enjoy some more later.

Anchorage, AK - The Peanut Farm. This is probably the largest sports bar i've ever been in. It can be really chaotic if something exciting is going on, but the real reason to go is the dry spiced cajun chicken wings. Best chicken wings I've ever had.

One non-Alaskan recommendation:

Big Sky, MT -. Really good pastries and pretty good deli sandwhiches. They were the only place in town open very early or late. Lucas and I basically spent all of our time there when we weren't sleeping or hiking. Free wifi (we watched some world cup games) and all the employees are hippie lifties so they are cool with people chilling around for a while. Lone Peak Brewery is also in town. Pretty good, but I should not get into recommending all the breweries I like.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:26 am 
The 11th Essential

I loooove Midnight Sun.

Some more, while I think of them:

Gold Hill Inn, Gold Hill, CO
http://www.goldhillinn.com/dining.html
Gold Hill itself is worth a visit, a dirt road lined with still-inhabited mining-era log cabins, tucked against a hill above Boulder. Go the historic inn for a $33 / person six course dinner feast. Stay for the (free) live bluegrass and country music on weekends. Closed in winter.

Kathmandu Restaurant, Nederland, CO
You'd be hard pressed to find a better Nepali Indian restaurant in a Colorado mountain town. Avoid the deep fried appetizers, and save your appetite for the large, rich entrees.
http://www.nepalidining.com/

Mountain Sun Pub & Brewery, Boulder, CO
http://www.mountainsunpub.com/
The heart and soul of Boulder, always packed, always a great atmosphere. Strong beer lineup and good pub grub; I recommend the Basil Blue Cheeseburger. Cash only (ATM inside).

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:33 pm 
The 11th Essential

Some more acquired during my spring break to the San Juan Mountains:

Ridgway, CO

Kate's Place
Bright, welcoming restaurant that serves delicious hearty, healthy breakfast and lunch daily, 7AM - 2PM.
www.katesplaceridgway.com

Colorado Boy Pub & Brewery
Although I wasn't that overwhelmed by the beers - (the IPA was tasty, but there was nothing particularly daring in the lineup) - the pizzettas are probably the best pizza I've had in a long time, and reasonably priced. I highly recommend the 'Capicollo'.
www.coloradoboy.com

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:48 pm 
The 11th Essential

New locations added!
The map breaks out across the American West!
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8& ... fdb80cccaa

Please keep your ideas coming, folks.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:53 pm 
The 11th Essential

I've added in yellow the places that won "Best of" in the WTA's (2009). Worth checking out if you want to try something new, vouched for by fellow mountain adventurers.

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 9:48 am 
Dr. Crevasse

Stopped at The Cottage Cafe and Fireside Lounge on the way home this weekend. Food was pretty good (quite heavy on the butter though). Service was friendly and efficient (they kept the coffee flowing). Best part: open 24 hours and acres of parking. Perfect stop for a late night exit from the Teanaway.

911 East First St.
Cle Elum, WA 98922-1341

"Like home for hungry travelers"
Since 1935

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next