The Climbing Club

at the University of Washington
It is currently Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:05 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 4:53 pm 
Moss Man

Greetings -

I am helping to coordinate a 'volunteer vacation' type trip into the BC coast mountains this August. These plans are in conjunction with Ryan Foster at the Sand Creek Ranch. The Foster family lives on a ranch at the end of the 'westbranch' road near Twist Lake, about 2hrs from Tatla Lake, in the Chilcotin region of BC. This area is the traditional jumping off point for trips into the Waddington and Pantheon Ranges.

We will be establishing a foot-trail from the end of the road on the valley floor, westward up Sand Creek, to timberline. This will provide a direct brush-free route for skiing/climbing/hiking to the near side of the Pantheon range (near Siva Peak). It will also provide indirect access, via alpine routes, to Nirvana Pass, as well as longer traverses in the Pantheon and Waddington ranges.

Our dates are set for August 12-22. Tools and a basecamp will be provided. In addition to volunteer days, we will definitely plan on the 'vacation' part with a few rest days. This could be either fishing on Twist Lake, relaxing around the Ranch, or exploring into the alpine around Siva Peak.

If you are interested in this unique opportunity for stewardship and discovery in the Coast Mountains of BC, contact me.

Kevin Steffa
email: kevinsteffa at gmail dot com

Driving takes about 12-14 hrs. We plan to carpool from Seattle/Vancouver/Lower Mainland. I will coordinate carpools for those date ranges (or sub-ranges) above. Carpool rides may be available, though let me know sooner than later - I can't guarantee space.