All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Should the climbing club become a 'partner' with the NCCC
Poll ended at Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:38 am
Yes 100%  100%  [ 13 ]
No 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 13
PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:38 am 
One Armed Wonder

This last Wednesday we had a presentation by Tom Hammond, who is part of the North Cascades Conservation Council (NCCC). This organization has the general goal of conservation in the Cascades! Quite broadly, they are looking to expand the size of North Cascades NP and fill in the 'gaps' of a number of technically unprotected areas. Their website is www.americanalps.org
has a their current action plan to achieve this expansion.

Because this involves political hurdles, they are needing people, not money, to help in these efforts. As part of the NCCC, you would be more informed of how you could help. The actions that you may end up doing could include: letter writing to legislators, attending town council and legislator meetings, talking with locals in the areas where the National Park would be extended, as well as other word-of-mouth advertisement for the movement. If you are interested in becoming a member of their council, please contact me (iand (at) uw (dot) edu) and I will put you in contact with Phil, who may have a deal for you.

Additionally they are looking for 'partners'. In this vein, the UW Climbing Club would like to consider being one, however the officers would prefer input from our broader membership before doing so. As such I have setup a poll to gauge whether or not we should be a 'partner'. The NCCCs current partners may be found at www.americanalps.org/partners . We will leave this poll open for 7 days, so I can let them know by that time.

An additional link that may be of interest may be found at:
http://americanalps.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:37 pm 
Moss Man

Keep in mind that much of this area, around highway 20 between rainy pass and washington pass, is a prime area to potentially establish a future public backcountry skiing hut. Wilderness or Park regulations preclude this. Most good ski terrain in Washington is already in park or wilderness. This is why there are so few hut opportunities here, as opposed to Canada, and those that are here, are on private land, typically on the outer edges of the range. I would like to know what viewpoints the NCCC has toward public hut development for non-motorized user groups. (I have not received response from them on my past queries). Was this point brought up in the presentation? If not, I would like a comment on this before outright endorsing the project.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:43 am 
UW Climber

Hi, this is Phil Fenner, one of the N3C guys who presented to the club recently. Just wanted to let you know I'm available on your discussion board to answer any questions, or help get answers. As far as the huts issue, here's what I wrote to Ian earlier before I got my account here: "N3C has always opposed ski huts in Wilderness. The NPS has a policy on structures in their backcountry and a Wilderness study for any new land would probably be part of a full EIS. Canada certainly has a right to go with the European system, but we feel the demand for huts can be met in Canada and on private land here (for example the Methow Valley Sport Touring Association’s huts, and the Chiwaukum tent camps). So yes, huts are one thing that some backcountry users would have to forego in the areas that would become National Park with American Alps, but we firmly believe this is a worthwhile sacrifice to keep the backcountry as undisturbed as possible." -Phil