[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4770: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4772: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4774: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
The Climbing Club • View topic - Volcanic Neck, Devil's Head, Bean Peak, and Earl Peak - 6/8

The Climbing Club

at the University of Washington
It is currently Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:38 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 10:56 pm 
experienced hiker of the climbing club

aka Teenaway scrambling extravaganza

On Sunday, Brian D., Chris, Jule, Jim, and I fled the expected rainy weather on the west side for the Teenaway rain shadow. We parked at the Beverly Turnpike TH around 9:00, along with every other car on the planet. However, after passing a large group early on, we saw no one else for the rest of the day.

Our route took us up the Beverly Turnpike trail to the 4th Creek Trail cut-off, up to saddle and then along what I presume is the route of the County Line trail. This traverse (and the scrambles) gave us exceptional views of the Enchantments from the south and soon we had all figured out exactly which ones were Stuart, Sherpa, Argonaut, Colchuck, Dragontail, Little Annapurna, and McClellan. Even Prussik Peak made a brief cameo later in the afternoon. But I digress...

We followed the Country Line trail to where it crosses the Bean, Volcanic Neck saddle. Here we traversed on scree around to the north side of Volcanic Neck and found a scramble route (mostly 2nd class with some 3rd) to the top. Great views, some fun moves, and a few familiar names in the summit register. After descending, we followed the ridge further north to Devil's Head (Pt. 6666), which is a mellow walk-up. The summit was, however, covered in ladybugs.

A quick boot ski and scramble got us back to Volcanic Neck, where we retrieved our trekking poles (uneaten by marmots) and continued on south to the summit of Bean Peak. A couple of fun, straightforward 2nd class moves to gain the summit.

After another round of eating, drinking, and resting, we dropped off the east side of Bean and ran the ridge out to Earl. Along the way, we managed to contrive a number of fun scrambling problems on the highly variable rock and Jim, Jule, and Chris climbed a contrived couloir problem at the far end.

On the summit of Earl, we decided it was time to call it a day (and we were basically out of things to climb), so we scrambled and glissaded back down to the Bean Creek trail and were back at the car by 6:30.

Pizza in Roslyn rounded out the day.

Our route (which I'll post in a topo) was much more fun than I anticipated and a great opportunity to practice moving quickly over uneven terrain.

Chris' GPS thinks we did about 5000' gain all said and done.

Good times.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:30 am 

Fortified with pictures:

Our route:

Chris coming up to the saddle between Volcanic Neck and Bean

Ladybugs on Devil's Head

What bird is this?

Jim scrambling the Bean-Earl ridge

Jule in a contrived couloir

My attempt to be artsy

From Left to Right: Bean, Volcanic Neck, Devil's Head (from Bean-Earl ridge)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:00 am 
Alpine Slogger

Great suggestion on the trip Brian, and a fantastic day out, even if I'm paying for it today. Thanks for everyone putting up with my slowness, you are all beasts. I'll post my pictures tonight when I get home.

I saw this on cc.com
http://cascadeclimbers.com/forum/ubbthr ... ber=804673
It looks like that little tower we saw from Devils Head is called the "Flagpole"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:02 am 

Yeah - I saw that this morning myself. After reading the TR, though, I don't think I'm in a particular rush to get over there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 1:50 pm 
giving spoon

Brain again picked a winner. It was a marvelous day.

Volcanic Neck - be careful on the lower section as much of the rock is very sharp (almost glass like). I cut one of my fingers pretty good when a hold pulled out on me.

Devil's Head - Very nice views of the Stuart Range.

Bean Peak - There is some really fun and solid rock for scrambling on this peak. Seriously, ascending and descending from this peak on various aspects would be a fun way to spend a day. On the summit you can enjoy amazing views with some of the local Marmots. While not the most difficult peak we summited, it was my favorite. The ridge heading towards Mary and Margaret (SSW) also looks like a very nice ridge scramble with similar solid rock, but much steeper than the ridge to Earl.

Earl Peak - The traverse over from Bean is a blast, tons of gratuitous bouldering available and the contrived couloir. Just aim for the most aesthetic line and enjoy.

I can't wait to see everyone else's photos.

Note: standing around for over 3 hours after a long day of scrambling is not the best way to let your legs recover. My knees were not happy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 1:53 pm 

After a bit of digging around on nwhikers.net this morning, I think that the ridge south of Bean is Mary Peak (north) and Judy Peak (south) (not Margaret). The unnamed peak to the north of the saddle where the 4th Creek Trail intersects the County Line trail - (6917') is Bill Peak.

I really have no idea who came up with the naming of these summits... :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 6:33 pm 
UW Climber

Looks like it was an awesome day out!! I wish I would've gone, but I just didn't feel right. Probably a finals hangover for me. :)

I'm headed out to vancouver this weekend and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for a nice hike/scramble close by. Any help?

Thanks!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 6:52 pm 
giving spoon

After checking my GPS it looks like we covered about 10mi.

Here is the GPS Track:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:14 pm 
Snaffle Whisperer

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 11:00 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:21 am 
The Shepherd

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 2:07 pm 
Alpine Slogger

I'm having problems downloading my pictures right now, but here is one good one:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:42 am 
Alpine Slogger

Ok, more pictures for your enjoyment:

Brian on the approach:

Decending Volcanic Neck:

Views:

What is that peak?

View of whole route from Earl:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:43 am 
Longshanks