The Climbing Club

at the University of Washington
It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2019 2:28 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:10 pm 
UW Climber

Climbed in upper 40s and mixed sun and clouds saturday at Dildome;
Slither- 5.7 that goes from hand to squeeze to face and is pretty fun.
Muffin Top- 5.9+ with three cruxes, balancey face climbing, reachy face climbing, and an awkward hand-jam roof (5.9+)
Both of these climbs are rope eaters and better belayed from above and rappeled. Laura had to free her toprope with ~5ft of slack in it at the crux. Not fun... belay from above!

Slither 5.7

Muffin Top 5.9+ Crux roof is above, with both strands of running through the crack, about to cause problems.

This striking crack splits a boulder just below Bear Cave Crag. I climbed it last spring giving it a 5.9- ("Split Rock"). Finally got a photo. hands and fists, gear to 4" or 5". can belay from trees in back. if you're in the area, well worth the time.

We got snowed on saturday night at 8-mile, but there was only a dusting in leavenworth proper.
Go Irish!

While a bit worried about new precip on sandstone, Peshastin provided a good alternative to a snowy icicle and tumwater canyons... Sunset slabs was good practice for me. I couldn't quite figure what we climbed, it was either 5.5 or 5.8. I can't tell cause 5.5 slab is likely to scare the crap out of me (right Val?). Either way it was fun climbing in the sun, though a bit blustery.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:18 am 
Raging Alpoholic

Holy crap, it's a Nathan TR with photos. Well done! I was wondering how your Lworth trip was going as we were getting pounded with snow at Stevens pass, looks like the snow made it to you too. I'm glad that you found Peshastin. Days like Sunday are exactly what that place is good for (a nice alternative when leavenworth is a little wet.) I don't think I've climbed Sunset slab yet, but I looked it up. I'd say if you found gear on your route, it's the 5.8. All bolts, then it was your usual, scary 5.5 slab. Either way, looks like a great trip!