[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4770: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4772: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4774: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
The Climbing Club • View topic - A nice fall weekend in Vantage Oct 20-21

The Climbing Club

at the University of Washington
It is currently Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:06 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:23 pm 
UW Climber

Alright..... someone's gotta post a trip report from the Vantage trip! I forgot my camera at home, so I don't have cool pics to show, although I can link to the Cascade Climber's thread discussing the that happened on Saturday. From what we pieced together, a guy took a ~40 ft lead fall on Crackmaster Lambada (5.10b). He was above his last piece, which popped and landed on the ground, feet first and knocked up his head (but did not lose consciousness). Wasn't wearing a helmet. A couple of emergency vehicles showed up and a helicopter eventually whisked the climber away Saturday afternoon. We saw a large blood stain on the rocks at the base of the climb on Sunday. Be careful!

While the sun shone all weekend, the wind was pretty fierce Friday night. Stir-fried veggies and beef settled us in nicely for the night, but we woke up Saturday to continued windiness. A hot breakfast tortilla filled with with sautéed onions, peppers, and scrambled eggs sprinkled with cheese and salsa stoked the fire for climbing.

When Chris and Katja showed up Saturday AM, we headed to the Kotick Memorial Wall. I put up Rod of God (5.8_) while Nadia made short work of Falsies (5.9). Next, I led Wild Thing (5.10a) which definitely had a "wild thang" move at the top! With some encouragement from below, I made the final move on the first try -- whew! Nadia then scampered up A Game of Inches (5.9) while I had an enjoyable lead on Silhouettes (5.10a). Chris and Katja top-roped everything we put up and got in their first real outdoor cleaning and rappelling practice.

Finally, with Chris and Katja starting to get a bit tired, Nadia started eyeing Well Preserved (5.10c), which she had top-roped previously. On the promise that I would finish leading it if she got stuck, she launched off the ground. Lucky for me, Nadia completed the lead and I enjoyed a subsequent lap on top-rope.

Somewhere in here we encountered Cori B and 3 other UW climbers wandering around. Nice to finally meet you, Cori!

Katja still wanted to get her first outdoor lead, so the two of us hiked up to the north side of the Feathers in the early evening. Katja led (and then cleaned and rappelled) three easy low- to mid-fifth class climbs for her first outdoor leads while I stood by belaying faithfully in my trusty puffy jacket with thoughts of a hot dinner wafting through my head.

Saturday night's dinner was a repeat of Friday night's hit -- more stir-fried veggies and beef wrapped in tortillas with salsa and cheese. Yum! Woke up Sunday morning to frost on the tent. The lure of french toast eventually mobilized me. We climbed Party in Your Pants (5.8_ and my first trad lead at Vantage!) before heading home in the early afternoon for Seattle.

Sorry no pics... but maybe someone else will add some from their weekend!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:43 pm 
UW Climber

It was a beautiful weekend, weather-wise. And we only had a little bit of frost on the tent in the morning.... It was my first time out there and it was delightful, especially the part about avoiding west-side rain and getting in some fun climbs and hangout time with a big group of cool people. We had something like 20 people come out for "Val's" trip, even though our fearless leader couldn't join. Jason (and Brendan and Jon) did an excellent job of taking up the reigns and making sure everyone had a good time. Go team!

I didn't take many pictures, but here are a few to pretty up the thread.

SUUUUUN! and Yi-an on the way to Sunshine Wall:
Image Image

Sunshine wall was crawling with people on Saturday:
Image Image

More sun and setting up routes on Fat Man wall on Sunday:
Image Image

Med-evac helicopter landing to evacuate the injured climber. Situation notwithstanding, it was cool to see this impressive machine so close-up:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:42 pm 
UW Climber

Sweet pic of the chopper, Cori! My friends posted some pics, so I'm reposting a few here.

Some climbing happening at the Kotick Wall:

Me leading Twin Cracks (aka Party in Your Pants)

Sweet view of the Sunshine Wall while Katja climbs Twin Cracks:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:10 pm 
Raging Alpoholic

Looks like another fantastic weekend of climbing. Thanks for posting all the pics of Vantage sunshine. I'm sorry I had to miss it!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:06 am 
The Pub Czar

"sunshine"? what is this "sunshine" of which you speak? ...and why isn't it up here? :(

i really like all the wide-angle shots of the walls jutting up from the valley!