The Climbing Club

at the University of Washington
It is currently Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:09 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:54 pm 
UW Climber

Hoping for good weather, Aubrey and I headed east to Tieton and Leavenworth for two days of climbing with the goal for each of us to lead as much easy trad as possible to gain experience. (i.e. Dutifully taking our "vitamins" by putting in mileage at the easy trad grades)

Day 1. Tieton, Royal Columns. Tom Lewis, Ian Zemke, and Co pulled up as we were gearing up at the car. We warmed up on Mushmaker (5.7) which I had previously mock-led last fall during my trad climbing course. This time I led it, and it felt great! All that time spent climbing hard 5.10 cracks at the Bend a few weeks ago really paid off. The easy stuff at Royal Columns felt significantly easier!

Over the course of the day, both of us led an assortment of climbs including Twin Cracks (5.6), a "Name Unknown" 5.7, Nimrod's Nemesis 5.5, and Double Trouble 5.5. We were both feeling much more confident about our gear placements by the end of the day.

Day 2. Leavenworth. With the forecast calling for a chance of showers after 11am, we made a beeline for the 5.6 R&D (4-pitches) on Icicle Buttress. Super fun! Next we headed for Midway, but a T-storm rolled in as we were hiking to the base. We felt bad for the climbers caught on the rock. Driving back down the road, we discovered that the area around Playground Pt was still dry, so we both stuffed in one more lead on Zap Crack, a fun, albeit too short 5.6. I led it after Aubrey and gusty winds and light showers started to pepper us as I was still on lead. Such excitement! Fortunately, we finished and cleaned the gear before anything really wet drenched us.

With the clouds getting darker and things getting wetter, we decided we ought to catch a burger in town and zip back to Seattle.

Some pictures:

Aubrey on Mushmaker 5.7:

Aubrey prepares to lead the unnamed 5.7:

Tom showed up!

Looking up the first pitch of R&D:

Aubrey finishes the last pitch on R&D:

Sitting under a tree on the approach to Midway with a rain jacket protecting my rope backpack and me:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:08 am 
UW Climber

rock and roll!
looks like this weekend should be another good one for eastside climbing