The Climbing Club

at the University of Washington
It is currently Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:09 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 9:54 pm 
UW Climber

Despite my best intentions to stick around Seattle this weekend and catch up on house chores, my friend Amanda from the WAC managed to convince me to come join her for a day of climbing at Index. We teamed up with Alex (UW grad student) and Emily, leaving Seattle at the leisurely time of 8:15a. Damp misty fog in Sultan gave way to a spectacular blue bird day in Index. We were only the second car in the lot at 9:30a.

Alex and I headed off to climb the standard Great Northern Slab route (3 pitches, 5.6). We scrambled up the 3rd class chimney to the terrace. Alex, who is much more experienced climber than me, graciously let me take the lead on all 3 pitches to get some more easy trad leading practice. Rock was a bit damp and slimy for the cruxy 5.6 moves right after the railroad bolts, but otherwise straightforward. Fun! No pics, sorry.

Alex and I then set up a top rope so we could flail safely on the 5.10a off-handwidth Libra Crack. Amanda and Emily gave it a go after lunch. Much grunting and flailing generally ensued by all:

Me on Libra Crack (after having survived the tough start):

Alex looks happy before his attempt on Libra crack:

Alex attempts to find some good jams on Libra Crack:

Alex slumped over after a failed attempt on the first part of Libra Crack (don't worry; we all did this!):

View of GNS from the base:

After lunch, Amanda and Emily climbed the 5.10c corner at the base of GNS (on top rope). Looked stiff. Amanda laybacks the start:

The first pitch of The Lizard (aka Aries) was being top-roped by another party, so Alex and I scrambled up the 3rd class chimney to the right and started at the left-facing finger crack. Alex led off on the slippery granite, and I spent some quality time cleaning a well jammed nut as I followed. Alex took one move up into Butt Lips Chimney and wisely backed off at the sight of a lot of a very wet Butt Lips. We detoured around Butt Lips via the 5.4 route. Alex next led the exciting 4th pitch under the Aries roof. Upon following, I was glad he led it and not me! (sorry, no pics)

Two raps down and we were back at the base, packing up to head home after a fun day of climbing. Alex raps down GNS:

Fun day! There were about 10 cars in the parking lot when we left at 5pm.