The Climbing Club

at the University of Washington
It is currently Sun Jul 21, 2019 2:23 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Outer Space 4/9
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 2:09 pm 
UW Climber

I had a Sunday-Monday-Tuesday weekend this week so my buddy Ben and I decided to get out into the alpine a bit. The original plan had been to climb the Whitehorse Glacier on Whitehorse, but with the way the weather turned over the weekend we decided to head to the east side and check out Yellowjacket Tower. Once we got to Leavenworth though the weather turned out to be absolutely beautiful and when we drove past the snow creek parking lot it was entirely empty. We continued on to give Yellowjacket a cursory check from the road and then hauled ass back to snow creek, feeling obligated to climb Outer Space on such a fine day with the entire wall to ourselves.

After a bit of gear sorting and the hike in we finally got started on the route around 10:30. Ben lead the first long simul pitch to two tree ledge. Having climbed the route a couple times already he gave me the sharp end for the traverse pitch which I thoroughly enjoyed, got a little sketched moving past the flaring hand crack but kept finding feet where I needed them and without much more ado made it to the belay. Ben followed the pitch quickly and lead through to the pedestal. After a quick water break we reracked and I took off up to library ledge. After following in our lightweight belay jacket Ben was still pretty cold and I was climbing well so I got to lead the entire crack. This last pitch definitely went the fastest, even stretching the ropes to a full 60m to reach the horizontal crack a bit above the last section of chicken heads where I was greeted by a friendly mountain goat. Ben followed again in the belay jacket and was quickly warmed up by the sun upon reaching the top.

We hung around with Mr. Goat for about half an hour, ate some cheese and then headed down the walkoff. Almost the entire thing was covered in windfall and slippery pine needles so we took our time and finally made it back down to the base of the wall in about an hour and a half without having to break out the ropes for any rappels, although that might've been quicker. We packed up and headed back down to the car after finding the biner I had dropped from two tree ledge in the snow.

After some quick food at the Subway we headed on back across the pass where we were greeted by the weather that had made us call off our climb on Whitehorse. This proved to be the true crux of the trip, which involved almost an hour of crazy windblown snow, 30-40 foot visibility and driving by brail on the rumble strips at 20 mph.

All in all we had an awesome trip, which was my first to Snow Creek wall and I can't wait to get on more granite this summer.

Relaxed at the belay after the crux traverse pitch

Great weather for rock climbing

Avy debris over the trail

Ben leading p3

The goat at the top. It was also snowing on us lightly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 9:22 am 
Longshanks

Nice climbing! I wonder if that is the same goat we saw. If I'm not mistaken pearly gates is basically on the back side of snow creek wall.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 12:58 pm 
UW Climber

There are goats all over that area. It is far more likely than not that it was a different goat.