The Climbing Club

at the University of Washington
It is currently Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:26 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 23 at 38
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 4:20 pm 
Limp Gimp

23 :shock: of us had a great time at Exit 38 on Sunday.

Everything went amazingly smoothly. Everyone showed up on time at the UW rock (one person even came an hour early, thanks to Daylight Savings), and the cars reconvened at the Far Side of Exit 38 within just a few minutes of each other. We hiked in to Gritscone. This turned out to be an excellent area for instructing a large group. There is a large flattish area in front of the rock where we could stand in a circle and talk about figure 8s and belaying. Meanwhile, some of the more experienced people threw up top-ropes. The routes are close together and range in difficulty from 5.5 (or so) to 5.11, from right to left.

The teaching format was fairly relaxed. Those who wanted a refresher listened and practiced as long as they felt they needed it. We did not have a system for checking people off as "certified to belay". This has the advantage of being easy to manage and feeling relaxed, as well as being more akin to "the real thing" where each climber has to make his/her own judgement calls about safety. It has the disadvantage of possibly forcing new people to make those judgement calls without much experience, and opening the possibility that one first-timer might belay another first-timer in an unsafe manner.

Around 1pm, we packed up and hiked over to Interstate Park. Thanks to everyone for packing quickly and moving cohesively! I can't imagine such a large group moving much more smoothly! Again, the experienced people put up the 5 club ropes as top-ropes right away, and were then free to climb harder stuff on their own ropes. We pulled the ropes around 4pm and hiked out right around dusk.

It seemed like everyone got a few climbs in, and (other than Colin) everyone seemed happy.

Thanks again to all the guys who helped instruct, set up top-ropes and clean them! Paul Franklin, Ralph Bodenner, Dan Perrakis, Jeremy Holleman, Vlad Vigdorovich, Colin Forsyth... I hope I didn't miss anyone?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 4:22 pm 
That goat computes better than me!

Poor Colin, why wasn't he happy?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 4:24 pm 
UW Climber

Probably cause he still hasn't given me my ropebag back! :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 4:27 pm 
An Old Geezer

Too much Image or something. Colin adapted well to the role of curmudgeon, but I think that deep down, he was actually enjoying himself.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 4:53 pm 
That goat computes better than me!

Did anyone get any pics from the trip? It would be cool to see them!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 2:16 pm 
UW Climber

:D Just give it to Eric or Ralph or Stebbi or someone that I run into at SG...no rush. :D

Post subject: Found quickdraw
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2003 12:55 pm 
Limp Gimp

Paul Franklin found a quickdraw among his stuff. It's got a green & white dogbone, and the biners are marked with blue. If this is yours, please email me (ania @ cs.washington) and I'll get it from Paul to you.