The Climbing Club

at the University of Washington
It is currently Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:09 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 5:31 am 
UW Climber

Most of the ice in the area is still forming, but where it's good it's good, so we climbed Kongsvollfossen again on Saturday. We climbed alongside another very friendly team for most of the day which added to the enjoyment of the climb. Ice on the lower section was quite good, and the steps have gotten easier. My partner, Julian, soloed to the base of the first pitch - I soloed as well but bypassed one steep step of about 3 meters after Julian said the ice was pretty hard and bad at the top.

We took a steeper variation on the first pitch, sustained at about 80 degrees and perfect smooth, soft ice that gave one swing sticks even to a lousy ice climber like myself. A more direct line and a bit of simuling got us to the crux pitch after only two pitches.

The crux was great climbing, much more difficult than a week ago. The last step of the pitch has become slightly overhanging and made for tricky but very fun climbing (at least as a second!). A traffic jam on the last pitch made it so that we topped out at four, in the dark, fortunately the walk-off followed an easier line than last week.

Special thanks to Julian for leading the route, I very much enjoyed being a wuss and seconding all the hard parts.

Views (less sun this week)
Beginning of second pitch
Last pitch

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:17 pm 
UW Climber

Killer. Jerry, I wonder if you might just come home an ice climber...

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 10:11 pm 
stick clip

Is ice climbing pretty much the same as walking through alder? Cause if it is then the leaky thermos and myself went ice climbing yesterday. Easily 4/5 on the Amittai scale, possibly a bit higher if personal modifiers can alter the scale. Way to do some non-alder alpinism!