The Climbing Club

at the University of Washington
It is currently Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:37 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:58 am 
UW Climber

With no snow in sight (sad times), I looked to the next best thing. My usual Norway climbing partner, Andreas, was game to head up to Oppdal to look for ice in the Drivdalen area.

Kongsvollfossen is an approximately 500 meter ice line going from almost the valley floor to nearly the top of the canyon. The first 350 meters are mostly low-angle and can be easily soloed. There are a few steep steps but they can be easily bypassed to the right for those uncomfortable soloing (I chose to skip the largest step).

The top 150m are usually pitched, but make for 4 to 5 pitches of fun climbing (we did 5 pitches with 50 meter ropes, but it can be done in 4 with 60 meter ropes). The first four pitches were easy, WI2 to maybe easy WI3. The last pitch went at either stiff WI3+ to easy WI4 - Andreas took the lead and efficiently sent it, while I followed with somewhat less grace but loads of enthusiasm.

Afterwards we descended via a walkoff that had a lovely combination of downclimbing near vertical frozen moss and bushwhacking.

Kongsvoldfossen from the road
Beginning of the line
First roped pitch
Top out
Summit views

Approach notes: Can't miss it, less than 10 minutes from the car.
Gear Notes: 10 screws, draws, something long for anchors. A couple 10s were nice at the moment, but later in the season it will probably be fat all over and all 13+ would be better.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:25 pm 
stick clip

Way to get after the early season ice! Glad to hear bushwacking is a common thread among alpinism on all continents. A combination of too much work, partners with too much work, and wonky weather windows have have left me with what might be affectionately referred to as "alpine blue balls," but hopefully that will change soon. Needless to say, the alder is out in all of its glory and Washington face shots will soon abound. Thanks for the Monday stoke.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:38 am 
UW Climber

Also, for all you dirtbags out there: no need to spend $7 on ice clippers, these work great!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:15 pm 
UW Climber

That looks like fun! I've heard many good things about ice in Norway...

Unfortunately, it's back to being 55 degrees + rain/wind here... What do you do with weather like this??