The Climbing Club

at the University of Washington
It is currently Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:11 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:24 am 
UW Climber

The road trip that is the subject of this trip report was conceived of last year by my buddy from high school, Andrew, and I in order to drive out to CO to see our other two friends, Brendan and Riley, who went to high school with us but are students at Colorado State University. Last year we rolled out to CO first, then from there to Yosemite then to Smith. This year, Brendo was like, "How about I bring a friend (Milo, not riley, we didn't know Milo but he turned out to be totally chill) and we fly out to Seattle and go the other way on the trip?"

And so it was, Andrew and I picked up Brendan and Milo from Sea-Tac and left for Smith Rock the next day. What ensued was the single best stretch of 10 days IN MY LIFE, and I can honestly say that it changed me in ways that I'll probably never fully understand.

Every bit of climbing we did was absolutely stellar - Picnic Lunch, Mesa Verde Walls and the AMAZING 5-pitch bolted sport route "Wherever I May Roam" at Smith; Five and Dime Cliff, bouldering near Camp 4, and my first trad lead on a 3-pitch route called "Swan Slab Gully" at Yosemite (along with some slack lining, general tom foolery, bear encounters, and psychedelic trips); Dream Canyon and hanging out in the college town of Fort Collins, CO. Dream Canyon (which is sort of the next canyon over from the famous Boulder Canyon) was hands down the best climbing I've ever seen. SUPER solid granite with cracks, thin and technical face climbing, slabby mantles, and lie-backing flakes, all in the same route! Not to mention I red-pointed my hardest (5.11c) route ever!!!!! I can't wait to go back there.

All in all, the road trip was simply epic. Epic.

Photos here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/60917746@N05/

And here: http://atertocha.blogspot.com/ (these photos were developed from film and scanned, because Andrew goes to Cornish and is all artsy, and that link is his blog if you're interested in checking any of his other stuff out).

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:04 am 
UW Climber

For purposes of identification - Image

From left to right -Andrew, Brendan, Riley, Myself

Milo is the dark one with a fro not pictured here, but found often in the other sets.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:10 pm 
UW Climber

Stellar trip! :drink: Love the photos of the climbs and other aspects of your trip - particularly the ones with the white butts. :)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:12 pm 
Raging Alpoholic

Awesome trip Carl! Nice job on the 11c!