The Climbing Club

at the University of Washington
It is currently Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:47 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 2:55 pm 
Rodrigo

This is one final post regarding the recent trip to Spain. Rather than a trip report the purpose is to provide some basic information just in case you happen to find yourself in Madrid. The take home message is simply…at a minimum bring your climbing shoes even if the purpose of the trip isn't climbing. There are plenty of opportunities for urban bouldering in Madrid. Beyond old walls and buildings to entertain you a network of volunteers maintains a number of different boulder/climbing walls that are free and open to the public. More information (in Spanish) can be found here: http://www.escalamadrid.com/ (click on the rocodromos for more information)

The different bouldering and climbing options vary in scale in quality. We (Craig, Pau, and Rodrigo) first went to the Planetarium (just take the metro to the Planetario stop and look for the park with the bridge) bouldering/climbing place. Although small, it's still pretty fun. Along the sides of a bridge volunteers have mounted various pieces of rock, cement, and wood to make long traversing problems. Under the bridge there are a bunch of different kinds of holds for your tropical overhanging type bouldering problems. This wall also has the best hold ever…a pterodactyl. Yes, that's right, a motherfucking pterodactyl. Anyway, not the best bouldering ever but free and fun to spend an hour or more.

Traverse

Pterodactyl Hold: Why doesn't nature make these?

The other place I checked out is near the Parque de Roma and can be arrived at easily from the circle line on the Metro. Look for the thing that looks like a dinosaur (or Loch Ness monster). This wall is built entirely out of plastic holds that you see at the gym and some natural type features. There aren't any set bouldering routes but there's enough there to make your own problems and the holds allow you to go from easy to quite difficult. It also has a few different routes for lead climbing. I didn't climb any of them but what was around looked like a range of 5.7 to 5.10ish. Bring draws and rope. I'm not sure what shape the hardware is in but my bet is it gets checked often. This place is totally worth stopping by if you are around.

Pau traversing on some color

The Wall:

There are 5 other locations covered on the website I included. Most are small like the first wall I've highlighted here but there is another larger one. And remember, this is Madrid so don't forget to bring beers to drink while you boulder.

Buildings are also good places to boulder:

They even try to get the kids while they are young:

Finally, if you are looking for a gym might I recommend Espacio Accion? Most of the gyms in Madrid are smaller and don't set many routes. Espacio Accion is a large gym with bouldering and other equipment for all levels of climbing. Perhaps my favorite part of the gym is that their grades are set with grades very similar to what you will find with outdoor climbing in the Madrid area. There is some roped climbing here but it's more of a bouldering gym. Metro station El Carmen on the green line.

I swear I will stop bothering you now about Spain now.