[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4770: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4772: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4774: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
The Climbing Club • View topic - We are WFRs

The Climbing Club

at the University of Washington
It is currently Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:15 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: We are WFRs
PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:03 pm 
Longshanks

The club now harbors 17 newly minted wilderness first responders (WFR). spent the last two weekends, plus a Friday and two evenings (~60 hrs) in the practical portion of the course. 95% hands on learning and simulations. All book-work was completed before the course began.

We started out with simple skills: basic life support and patient movement; quickly progressing and building in complexity; culminating in intense simulations every day. We bled. We screamed and moaned. Some of us died. Everyone spent hours holding patient's heads in spine-stable positions.

I won't say more, except to state that this course was worth every minute and every penny. If you spend a lot of time in remote locations, you should take a WFR. There's an incredible peace of mind that comes with knowing that you can walk up to a major trauma victim in the wilderness and provide the best care possible under those circumstances. They might die whatever you do, but at least you will know you have done all that anyone could.

BIG thanks to Janelle, Mark, and Dylan for organizing the whole thing! This was more than just contacting the WMTC and setting up the course: they had to find rooms, get a ton of gear together, and even feed us breakfast!

Another big thanks to our instructor, Joel Reid. No doubt the other WMTC teachers are also excellent, but I'd recommend taking a course from Joel if you can! He was fantastic in every way I can think of!

Finally, thanks to all my fellow students! I had a great time, both getting to know those I didn't already, and working with those friends I did. It was pretty awesome to see everyone progressing so quickly, and really performing well under stress!

Some favorite pics:

And all the rest:
http://picasaweb.google.com/obadiah/100 ... directlink

Post subject: Re: We are WFRs
PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:37 am 
Dr. Crevasse

Congrats to the new WFRs!! :drink:

Great photos as always Obadiah.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:17 am 
Frodo

What a gain! The knowledge, the skills, and for the especially lucky, star trek pins (Jim we can negotiate trades for said pin if so desired.)

Truly a great class, and I second the thanks to Janelle, Dylan, and Mark...and the rest of all y'all. We learned some great stuff, and I think meeting every now and then to refresh skills isn't a bad idea.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:55 am 
The Shepherd

I want to echo the thanks to Janelle, Mark, and Dylan for organizing this! I agree with Obadiah, if you can take the course from Joel I recommend it.

It was a lot of really useful information and practice, and I feel more comfortable knowing that I as well as others that I go out on trips with have this knowledge and these skills.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:02 am 
Longshanks

Thanks, Jim!

Erin: I would like to do some additional simulations as well, as time goes on. Also, Grace and I were discussing staging something more complicated: a technical scenario combing the WFR skills with a high-angle rescue. e.g. a bleeding head-injured leader too high on a climb to simply lower off; an unresponsive moat-fall victim; etc.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:22 am 
Tenacious Lee

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:42 am 
receiving spoon

Most of what I will say already has been said, but I had a fantastic time in WFR and definitely feel more confident going outdoors having gone through WFR since the potential is always there for serious injury. It gives me peace of mind that I know how to do everything I can if, god forbid, anything does happen. Thanks to everyone who made this a really good experience, esp. Joel, Mark, Janelle, and Dylan, and all my classmates. It was really fun working with you and I'll be looking for ways to keep this skills sharp. So, I'll definitely be up for practicing more simulations or helping organize some in the future!

Also, thanks for documenting this Obadiah! I should've made more of an effort to take more pictures.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:04 pm 
Snaffle Whisperer

What everyone else said. The WFR course was incredible; definitely worth it, and Joel is a fantastic instructor. Highly recommended. Thanks to everyone involved, especially to Mark, Janelle and Dylan (again, what everyone else said). It was great working with and learning from new friends and old. I am so happy to have gained these skills, and I hope I never have to use them!

Obadiah, those pics are awesome (as always). Thanks for posting; it all looks so intense.

I think it would be great to organize some more simulations, and I'd be definitely interested in participating/coordinating. Maybe something similar to our final sim where one person can figure out the scenario, we have a few patients in various places with different problems, and rescuers + incident coordinator. High angle rescue would be a good one. Medical LARP! :D

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:10 pm 
Cap'n Posthole

At the risk of sounding like a broken record. Thanks to Joel, Janelle, Mark and Dylan. It was an awesome experience!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:47 pm 
The Pub Czar

congratulations, folks! :drink2:

if you really want more practice -- and lots of it -- there's always the option to do it for reals:

they'd (we'd?) love to have you.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:03 pm 
Cap'n Wingspan

Well done everyone. Although I completed my WFR training through another company, I can imagine how much fun you must all have had if it was half as fun as mine. I'm glad so many people in the club are taking our outdoor activities seriously and responsibly, and seeking the training to back up the attitude.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:55 pm 
UW Climber

I echo the above. An especially HUGE shout out to Janelle, Dylan, Mark, for their commitment of getting the course organized, taking care of all the random details, and keeping it real! Thanks also to Joel, for being such a great teacher and cheerleader, through the hail, rain, and endless questions.

Some people wondered why a medical student might be taking the course, but I have to say that I highly recommend any student or professional of the health sciences become WFR certified (or equivalent). It is a new perspective on health care, dealing with emergencies with very little available resources, requiring one to be inventive and use whatever is at hand.

Also - if you have a penchant for the dramatic ... a WFR course is a great chance to practice some acting skills!! Playing someone's dying best friend turns out to be a rather bonding experience, eh, Erin? :drink:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:26 pm 
Frodo

Oh my dear best friend. When I got back to my dorm, I almost left you a PM thanking you for being alive. That was one emotional sim.
:)
Poor Dave. All he wanted was a decent spine rule-out (and was about 85 percent through.)
Not to mention Zoe's declaration.
[oops]

As for the continual practice, I'm glad people are generally in favor. Perhaps we can start a thread on the forum. Or even make a page? We can talk about this more this Wed. at the meeting and/or the pub. Like Joel said, it would be cool for others in the club to join in and get excited about wilderness safety.

We should also perhaps consider reviewing some of the information that we didn't get to practice in class. Maybe have someone be in charge of learning it and teaching the rest.
I could understand potential hesitation in this due to the person's lack of training. But there are ways around this. Thoughts?

PS. and as one of the extra officers who has so far contributed very little, I'd love to do something constructive and help organize. Or even make WFR nights a regular part of the club. At least for now.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:10 am 
UW Climber

Congrats everyone! Looks like an amazing class! Erin, as a non-WFR, i would be interested in learning more about wilderness safety and practicing. I think its a great idea to have some basic safety as part of the meetings.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:27 pm 
UW Climber

Hey Everyone! Awesome course, I really enjoyed taking it with you all. Looking forward towards future WFR practices!