The Climbing Club

at the University of Washington
It is currently Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:31 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Kona, HI
PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 4:56 pm 
Rodrigo

A while back Brian and I did some acoustics work for a wave energy device developer. It isn't part of my ongoing research but I volunteered to do some analysis. To make a long story short, my reward for the work was a trip to Kona, HI to present some of the results at a conference. It's great to go to Hawaii for a conference but in this case it was especially great because I have an uncle in Kona,

After spending much of the summer away from Seattle I returned from a 10 day research cruise off of the coast of Maine and immediately packed my bags for Kona. I arrived, worked that afternoon and got up the next morning for the conference. On the drive to the conference I was treated to this spectacular view of lava fields and beaches. There's no picture but I was also excited to get a view of the observatory from sea level from this same location...awesome. Sadly, the day I had my camera the view of Maui was obscured by the clouds.

After a few days of conference going it was time to relax. Instead of relaxing I got sick. I think too many changes in climate, not enough sleep, and a constantly change sleep schedule wore my body out. I didn't really have a lot of energy so I decided to take it easy and eat unreasonable amounts of tropical fruits that could be described any delicious to tasteless. Finally, feeling a bit better I went snorkeling. I really wanted to hang out with some dolphin dolphin dolphin dolphins but I didn't see any. I did check out some mean looking eels though. That night I saw this glorious sunset from my uncle's house. Yes, it really did look like this. The sun was setting while it was pouring rain at the house and this was the result.

Finally, with just a couple of days left my uncle called his friend and told him to take me surfing at this nice little beach.

Having only tried my hand at surfing one time in the frigid waters off of England I was interested in giving it another shot in warmer waters. I was pretty terrible the first time so I had high hopes. This time it went better. I settled in quickly and before too long I figured everything out. Before too long I was able to regularly catch waves and get going before the waves broke. Apparently all of those years of skateboarding and snowboarding were good for something. Noticing that I was having a great time surfing my uncle's friend proceeded to lend me his surfboard for the rest of my stay resulting in a few days of surfing.

I'm quite sad about the fact that I won't be surfing again soon. Oh well, at least the winter sports season is on the way.

Note to Brian: Sending me to places like this for conferences is a good idea. Believe it or not my time here has been quite productive.

Post subject: Re: Kona, HI
PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:24 pm 
Mountain Rhombus

Sweet...which fruits were tasteless?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 12:02 am 
Rodrigo

The pitaya wasn't terribly interesting. The starfruit wasn't particularly good which was something I already knew. I don't know if these fruits generally aren't that exciting or if I just didn't get good ones. That would make sense given I have no idea when they are ripe. And, of course, the papayas were boring as expected.

I ate a bunch of passion fruit which is rad!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:55 am 
Duchess of Bearington

Looks like a good way to spend a few days!

You should make your own version of animal beatbox, except with all the fruits you ate instead of animals.