[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4770: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4772: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4774: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
The Climbing Club • View topic - Exploring the Middle Kingdom

The Climbing Club

at the University of Washington
It is currently Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:27 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:42 pm 
Burly Skinner

Having been in China since July, I’ve been feeling rather tired of being cooped up without climbing. So yesterday I swapped my flip-flops for lighthikers and headed out of my house to do some urban hiking in the nearby mountains (hills). I found a pretty looking ridgeline online and headed off without much in the way of instructions.

Although the light was terrible for photos (as it nearly always is in China) I still snapped a few…

I walked out of my house at 8am and promptly stopped to watch my neighbors’ new refrigerator being delivered.

I left my street and walked past an inspiring mural on the neighborhood stadium. Feeling inspired to reach the sun, I hopped on a bus.

And checked the directions; last stop!

Twenty minutes later, I arrived at the entrance of temple full of tourists. Saying I wanted to climb the mountain behind the temple, I refused to pay the entrance fee. The lady was not impressed and did not let me in. She did, however, motion to walk the other direction. So I found a gate.

Routefinding is always a pain. I walked until I found a small road heading the direction I thought I wanted to go.

Followed the road through a bamboo grove…

And arrived at a guardhouse. The guard told me to walk through a construction site. The entrance informed me the company is concerned about my safety.

I walked over some old ruins…

And found the trail!

Hiking in China consists of stairs…

After plenty of stairs. I reached this little structure on the saddle.

I headed right up more stairs; the path was hard to lose.

I enjoyed some haze at the top…

But, did not cross the barbed wire fence into the military area.

Instead I turned around, headed back to the saddle and continued south. Although I haven’t been practicing walking up stairs, I wasn’t as tired as this lady.

I passed them and hit the crux! Rocks and a downed tree.

I made it to the top and had great cell reception.

And taking in another view, decided I wanted to end up in this valley of tea and bamboo.

The maps in China aren’t particularly well-marked. Notice which way north is (top left).

So I just walked straight until I found a trail without stairs. It was fast and danger, so I took it down.

And found a guy fishing at the bottom…

As well as a nice, nearly paved and treed road.

Which featured a pretty intense calligrapher statue.

And plenty of tea fields, which Hangzhou is famous for.

Eventually, I bid the bamboo and tea good-bye…

Found some chickens…

And then found a bus stop to grab a bus home. While waiting an old lady walked up, peered and me, and asked if I was American. Surprised, I said yes. She claimed she can tell when foreign people are Americans… never mind that she had never talked to one before.

Statistics:
5 hours door-to-door
Saw ~20 people on the trail
Heard about ~20 exclamations of “FOREIGNER!” in Chinese.
Wildlife spotted—two (edible) birds, many (edible) lizards, and a few (edible) grasshoppers.

Just another day in China.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:18 pm 
UW Climber

Wow, awesome TR. I love walking around randomly in foreign lands.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 9:48 am 
UW Climber

Haha wonderful Nathan :)!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:25 pm 
Frodo

That was hilarious.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:05 am 
Alpine Slogger

Sweet Nathan! You could start training by carrying fridges....you'd be a beast by the time you get back state side!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:40 am 
The Shepherd

awesome TR! 8)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:12 am 
Dr. Crevasse

Great TR. Glad to see your still hiking in China.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:30 am 
giving spoon

Epic! I second Doehle's suggestion.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 3:52 pm 
receiving spoon

Fast and danger indeed! Nice TR.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:00 pm 
UW Climber

Haha awesome!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 5:55 pm 
UW Climber

Love it!! Hope to see more TRs of hikes in China soon. Different kind of animal.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 8:42 pm 
Burly Skinner

All you lucky dogs in Seattle get to ski on weekends and *sick* days (Ian). Plus, I feel a bit left out because Evan has been putting up trip reports left and right. Since I decided I don't particularly like walking up and down stairs all day, I haven't been out hiking or climbing recently. But, I just dropped a few mountain biking photos on my . Enjoy!