[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4770: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4772: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4774: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
The Climbing Club • View topic - Black Mountain (Montana) 06/27/2010

The Climbing Club

at the University of Washington
It is currently Sun Jul 21, 2019 2:26 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:30 pm 
Mountain Rhombus

A friend of mine from Alaska was getting married this past Saturday in Big Sky, MT...a great choice by the way...so I figured I should try to get up a mountain somewhere out there on Sunday. I had read about alot of Montana mountains and finally decided on Black Mountain in the western Absaroka Mountains. The Absaroka range (not to be confused with the Absaroka Mountains that span the Montana-Wyoming border on the eastern side of Yellowstone) is just west of the mighty Beartooth Mountains in Southern Montana, southeast of Bozeman. Since he was already occupying my couch, I talked Lucas into tagging along and keeping me awake on the 12 hour drive. The positive weather forecast didn't hurt.

We loaded up the car and left town nice and early at 6:45 on Friday, enjoying nice weather after leaving the cascades until getting to enjoy some lightning near Butte. We pulled into Big Sky around 8:30 after making some stops for food and exploring the area a bit. We stopped in the Blue Moon Bakery that night and asked if they knew anyplace in town where we could watch the world cup in the morning. Fortunately we found out that they are open 7-10 every day and have wireless internet and conveniently I had brought my computer just for this reason. We then drove north the way we came to Moose Creek Flats campground because it was getting dark and we didn't know where else to camp at that point. It was a relatively nice evening that turned into an absolute downpour from about midnight to 4 or 5 am. I have never been outside in this much rain before, let alone camping, and based on the drumming that I awoke to throughout the night I figure a few inches had to have come down.

The next morning we packed up our nicely soaked camping gear and headed back into town to hit up the bakery for the game that Lucas thought was at 8am...unfortunately he is apparently not very good at reading a schedule, so we ended up watching South Korea put up a good fight against Uruguay over cinnamon rolls. The bakery is great and highly recommended if you're ever in the area. After the game we decided to take the easy drive to the Ousel Falls trailhead to check that out quickly. Its a 0.8 mile hike to a decent waterfall. By this point it was nice and sunny so we set up our tent in a parking lot to dry and awaited the opening of a place to watch the US-Ghana world cup match. We ended up heading over to the Lone Peak Brewery (which I also highly recommend) to watch the sad showing. They have some excellent beers here and they actually serve "pints" in the volume of a pint. I highly recommend the seasonal brown IPA. After the game we drove down to where I had the wedding to go to and Lucas headed off to go on a little hike somewhere. The wedding was great, outside next to the Gallatin River. Lucas picked me up afterward and we drove over to the trailhead for Black Mountain, where there happens to be another campground. The campground was full unfortunately so we just set up in the forest next to the car at the actual trailhead parking, since we'd only be there for about 5 or 6 hours anyhow.

We awoke at 6 on Sunday, packed up our camping gear, and headed up the Pine Creek Trail toward Black Mountain. This is one of the most popular trails in the area and is quite easy to follow. The trail follows Pine Creek all the way to Pine Creek Lake, below the north face of Black Mountain. The trail ascends about 3,300' and 5 miles to the lake with many waterwalls along the way. The first waterfall is about a at mile 1.2, with a log bridge across the creek. The trail then switchbacks up the hillside to below the second major falls at mile 2.3 where the creek is crossed again. We added a few logs to one area, as the crossing was fairly difficult to do without getting wet. After this the views start to open up. At about mile 4.3 a small lake is reached with another large waterfall into it. The trail switchbacks up the hill on the north side before finally reaching Jewel Lake and then Pine Creek Lake below Black Mountain. Snowline was around 8,500' with patchy snow below. We reached the lake around 10am and had a snack. We noticed something moving up on the mountain and got to watch two guys ski town the right hand side of the Y-couloir. This was what we were a route we were hoping to ascend pending our views of it from the lake. I didn't see the first skier go, but watched the second from the very top. The first skier was already waiting for him at the bottom of the couloir at this point, but the second was taking a very long time simply side slipping down the couloir. His contemplation/hesitation in here had us second guessing what we wanted to do, but made his was down eventually and made some turns on the mellower slopes below. We ended up deciding to just take the easy route for a variety of reasons. First we only had two pickets because for some reason I couldn't find my other one, which would not be all that useful. The left couloir is reported to be the better one but there was still a little bit of a cornice in it, so we didn't want to have anything to do with that. We also wanted to make it out of there at a decent time with the 12 hour drive back looming as a nice victory lap to the climb. Having not been in the area at all before I also really wanted to make it to the top and get some views on a bluebird day.

The easy route heads west from Pine Creek Lake, staying west of a ridge that rises to the south of Jewel Lake. Gentle slopes are followed north up to the head of the cirque, where easy slopes top out on Black's west ridge. The snow was great; mostly consolidated with an inch or two of softer stuff on top. The snow was mostly melted off the ridge so we proceed hiking up grass, heather and rock to where it meets the western Y-couloir fork. From here a little scrambling is necessary to get across to the other side, nothing more than class 3. The scramble gets you to the top of the big rock between the couloirs. The top of it takes you out to a ledge above the second couloir where you can see another ledge about 5 feet below that would provide access. Its probably not wise to make the jump as any slip would probably result in 1,500' lost either direction. Instead head back about 50 feet to a small gull that scrambles down to the south. We encountered a little bit of steep snow to decend here but probably only 10 feet. Then its just a walk across the top of the second couloir and another easy scramble to more heather/grassy slopes to the summit. There was a nalgene summit register here and it was almost impossible to get the notebook out of the bottle. I emerged victorious though and entered the first UWCC ascent (the notebook only started last fall). I found it funny that the front of the summit register had an elevation listed on it that was more than 400' off. We lounged around a bit and headed down the way we came.

Once back to the top of the ridge where the snow began, we enjoyed the first of two long gliassades. We probably knocked off about 1,300' this way in about 15 min. We booted back to the lake and picked up all the training wait we stashed in some trees and hurried down the trail. We were back at the car around 5pm and hit the road. The drive was excellent through Montana as we got to see the rest of the scenery that we missed in the thunderstorm on the way in. Once we hit Idaho however the effects of little sleep all weekend, being awake since 6am, and having climbed 5,300' over 13 miles (and I did my share of drinking at the wedding) started to set in. At the end of Montana I drove through a bug storm that thoroughly covered the entire windshield and once it was dark I had some real trouble seeing. Apparently there are almost no gas stations in Idaho before Coeur d'Alene. The second half of Washington was particularly bad as I finished off my redbull cola and downed the second starbucks doubleshot and resorted to listening to loud music (Buckethead guitar solos and Dragonforce are the most effective) and sticking my head out the window every once in a while. I think we made it back around 4am to some nice bird chirping. Montana is cool.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:42 pm 
experienced hiker of the climbing club

Nicely done and nice recap of your tour de force of Montana. We were a little worried whether the drive back would "go" - glad you're both back safely (if perhaps a little over caffeinated). :drink:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:10 am 
Alpine Slogger

Solid. And an impressive "victory lap"! Wish I could have taken the time to head out with you guys.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:11 am 
Dr. Crevasse

Nice work! Looks like good times in MT.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:26 pm 
receiving spoon

I had great fun this weekend as well in Montana! Craig's choice to do Black Peak was awesome, and it surpassed all expectations I had. It was extremely scenic on both the approach and climb. It was great going on this adventure with you, Craig. .

On Saturday, before the USA game, Craig and I went up to Ousel falls quickly in Big Sky. It's kind of pretty, and quite popular since it's super easy even if you are completely out of shape.

Cool cliffy things by the river

My hike during Craig's wedding was Beehive basin, which is shadowed by the Spanish Peaks (I believe Beehive and Gallatin Peaks are the highest. The trailhead is just North of the base of Lone Mountain and the ski resort, and it is readily acessible. It's 6 miles roundtrip with negligible elevation gain. I just dashed up and back the trail with some boots and my camera. It has some good bc skiing.

Big sky in Big Sky.

Random waterfall

Beehive Basin

Lone Mtn and something else

Other random pictures from Black mountain:

Lower Lake falls

Craig at one with the forest. Where is he?

Craig at the foot of Black Mtn

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:58 am 
Alpine Slogger

Nice photos Lucas!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:29 am 
Dr. Crevasse

Great photos Lucas.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:18 am 
The Shepherd

Wow, stunning photos lucas. I'm glad you guys were able to make it back home safely! All I heard was I've got 6 shots of espresso and it's only like 4 hours from Montana to Seattle :shock:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 12:00 am 
Tenacious Lee

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:02 am 
Mountain Rhombus