The Climbing Club

at the University of Washington
It is currently Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:40 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 4:53 pm 
That goat computes better than me!

Lori and I flew down to Tucson Saturday morning, took a shuttle into town, and had a tasty gourmet SW-eclectic lunch. Right after lunch, we had bikes delivered to us, courtesy cycle-tucson.com, and we took off for Colossal Cave, 20-25 miles away. The roads there had bikelanes the whole way. We stopped at a general store six miles from the caves, a popular cyclist hangout. Some locals thought we were crazy and gave us their phone numbers to call in case we got into trouble. The rest of the ride there was uphill into a strong headwind, but we made it there just in time for some nice light.

While getting some Canon time, I was viciously assaulted from behind by a cholla cactus, and after we set up the tent, I required some assistance with spine extraction. It was blustery overnight, and a full moon cast eerie shadows through branches onto our tent.

The next morning, we rode to a B&B (Desert Dove) for a luxurious switch. We dropped off all our overnight gear and took a spin through Saguaro NP (East), stopping at all the pullouts and doing the nature walks.

We cleaned up, caught some light,

and went out to dinner with some of Lori's friends from undergrad. Excellent Mexican food.

The following morning, after an amazing breakfast from our hosts, we did another nature walk

and hiked partway up Tanque Verde Ridge, until we got a decent view and it was time for lunch.

After lunch, we ripped the windy hilly road that we had cruised the day before -- super fun. Then we did a 3.5-mile mellow mountain bike ride through the center of the park, with spectacular scenery.

Which composition do you prefer?

Afterward the bike rental folks came buy to pick up the bikes, and we ordered a pizza delivery from Magpies. Super pizza, and next day, the TSA folks were ribbing us that they were going to have to "confiscate" it. The pilot and the flight attendants were also jealous of our pizza. Once again another fine SW breakfast from our hosts.

Tucson people are funny. We had sunshine for three days, though it was a bit cold and windy. They were dressed in pants and jackets, complaining about the weather, while we were in t-shirts and shorts, overjoyed by the sun.

This is the only respectable photo of me, because I forgot my sun hat and was borrowing Lori's hot-pink bandana.