The Climbing Club

at the University of Washington
It is currently Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:33 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Brew Hut New Years 2013
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:23 pm 
UW Climber

I realize this is a very delayed TR, but I think this area is definitely worth sharing information about!
Robert and I went to the Brew Hut for four days over New Years weekend. General hut info: http://www.ubc-voc.com/wiki/Brew_Hut We had super stable conditions and bluebird skies for 4 days. We skied in all directions and could easily have spent a week there given stability. The skin in is LONG. We spent the previous night in Bellingham, started early, and got to the hut in the dark. We parked at Powder Mountain Catskiing office. The owners are happy to have skiing overnighters park at the top. We were a little unsure because people parking at the bottom of the road told us we couldn't, but we drove all the way up and the owners were super helpful and friendly. Canadians eh! We skied in the Roe Creek route, which involves at least 8 km (13?) of road and then an awesome skin track that would be very hard to find if you didn't have one to follow (or a good gps track). Two guys had gone in the day before us and it took them 13 hours to break trail in. They were fit.
Finally off the cat road and getting to the good stuff.
We made quick friends the first night and Robert headed out for a moonlight ski and I went to bed early. Win. The next morning we woke up to gorgeous weather and headed out the front door to ski some south-facing slopes down to Brew Lake.

Our first turns! Tele love.

YES

We did a second lap on the south facing side and then headed west up and over a ridge. This is living.

The good stuff.

We got to the hut at dusk and enjoyed a mellow evening.
The next day we teamed up with Karina, a Squamish local, and the three of us dropped down the steeper north-facing run right out the hut front door. We did one very long run and then skinned all the way back up. Did a few more runs just easy of the first long one. Gorgeous, best skiing ever... That night we did two moon-lit laps down to a lake on the east side of the hut.
It was great to have Karina join us and she skied with us again the next day.
Skin track up:

Gorgeous

Got to the hut just when the light was getting GOOD.
Garibaldi:

A few late arrivals finishing up a traverse from the north:

We celebrated New Year's Eve at 7:47, breaking out some chocolate, champagne, and airline bottles of whiskey. Robert and I slept in the tent the last night, snug and happy and Quiet.

The last morning we headed out early to get in a final run before the ski out. Karina, Robert and I teamed up and headed NW.

We squeezed in two runs that morning.

This was my and Robert's favorite run of the weekend off shoulder of Keg Peak. Spectacular.

Fresh tracks everywhere we went. Back at the hut at noon for a quick lunch and then down. We took a short cut down that worked very well. Met up with the road and it was still long going downhill. Got to the car around 3:30? Sushi dinner in Vancouver. Definitely a New Years I will never forget. <3

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:17 pm 
UW Climber

I'm inspired. That looks like such a spectacular tour. Definitely going on my list!! The views... the sunset.... *sigh*. Love. :)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:46 pm 
UW Climber

Nice work Sarah, that looks like an awesome tour, I will have to make it up there sometime soon - you were so lucky to have such great weather!! The skiing looks great - much better than the crud I ended up skiing on this past weekend..

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:45 pm 
The 11th Essential

This is bliss.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:17 pm 
UW Climber

Just gorgeous!! Glad you guys made this trip. Awesome.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:25 pm 
Cap'n Wingspan

beautiful