[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4770: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4772: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4774: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
The Climbing Club • View topic - Coast Range: Long Term Planning

The Climbing Club

at the University of Washington
It is currently Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:13 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 1:51 pm 
Moss Man

The Coast Range of BC is a wildly beautiful place... I have been dedicating some of my free summer weeks to getting out there at least once a year and exploring the region. Last summer, on the way back from our trip to Bella Coola, Jon Jantz and I traveled (south)west of Tatla Lake, down Mosely Creek to the end of the road. We visited and stayed with the family at Sand Creek Ranch, and headed up the hills to catch a glimpse of Mt. Waddington.

The Sand Creek Ranch, surrounded by the wilderness:

Mt Waddington, aka 'Mystery Mountain' or 'the crown of the coast range' rises above everything else in the distance:

First of all, the Foster family at the Sand Creek Ranch were amazing hosts! This place has been homesteaded for three (going on four) generations. They are primarily in the business of cattle-ranching by horseback, and pretty much run all aspects of a remote and largely self-sufficient ranch. Carol showed us around the place as she worked cutting and baling hay from the fields. Walt had been working long hours managing heavy equipment on the fire lines out east in the Chilcotin, yet took the time to share stories of the area during a brief break. Their son, Ryan, it turns out, is an accomplished climber and backcountry skier, and has many ties into the alpine community. He is also the main force behind low-impact and sustainable tourism at the ranch and surrounding hills.

One vision that both he and I share, is the creation of a sustainable trail route for travel between the valley and the alpine. Currently, most access is by either helicopter, or bushwhacking (a common theme in the coast range). Basically what we are calling for is a thin line connecting the first photo to the second photo. Put a bit more accurately, the route would actually lead directly into the 'Pantheon Range' which abuts the Waddington Range just to the north. It is known for its exceptionally craggy peaks, expansive meadow, and good quality rock, and perhaps best of all, better weather than most of the coast range! The possibility of longer alpine traverses through gentle meadows, rocky crags, and onto the Waddington icecap, are endless.

Right now, plans are in the formative stages, but tentatively calling for a small volunteer crew as early as this summer. I will plan on potentially coordinating up to 4 people. We would likely be doing a mix of scouting, exploring, and hand-clearing. Think of it sort of like a self-supported week-long WTA volunteer vacation (http://www.wta.org). We will probably be camping in the valley, spending a few nights at the ranch, and taking a few days to just explore and relax. If you find this sort of prospect exciting, and can commit to a week in the summer (likely aug or sept), or at least would like to learn a few more details, then shoot me a PM.

More photos from our trip:
http://picasaweb.google.com/kevinsteffa/09_09_SandCreek

Feel free to discuss the Pantheon / Waddington area as accessed from Mosely Creek, on this thread as well.

- Kevin

Last edited by Kevin Steffa on Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 4:22 pm 
Longshanks

If this wasn't a transition period for Grace and I, I'd be right there with you Kevin. , but had no time to spare for further exploration. The distance was only ~20 km from roads end. It took six days round trip. A trail would be a awesome.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:36 am 
Moss Man

Good to hear you are interested, having had first-hand experience up there! I imagine that there will be ongoing projects in the area, so whenever you do get free time, there will be something new to check out.

I do remember your 'hell-raving' report well, especially in light of the fact that John Baldwins older second edition of 'touring the coast mountains on skis' guide actually recommended that route as a ski approach.

In his third edition (just released), Baldwin has since updated the recommendation to use Sand Creek instead, and also makes mention of Ryan Foster in reference to the Nirvana Pass Ski Chalet (not yet built, but planned and permitted). This trail would effectively bring Shiva into a long daytrip or overnight range, with Nirvana Pass just on the other side of the ridge, a total of 20 kms from the ranch.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:16 pm 
The 11th Essential

Very intrigued, and I must admit, all new to me. I'll check back in once I have a better lock on my summer field and work schedule.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 4:56 pm 
Moss Man

Here is the trip planning thread for our trip back to this area (August 12-22):

viewtopic.php?f=39&t=5778

- Kevin