[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4770: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4772: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4774: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
The Climbing Club • View topic - Elfin Lakes Hut (March 28-30)

The Climbing Club

at the University of Washington
It is currently Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:58 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:53 am 
A Sophomore

A very strong contingent of Climbing Club skiiers converged on the Elfin Lakes Hut in the SW corner of Garibaldi Park for a few days of backcountry skiing. Kris and Nathan broke trail, followed by Kevin, Clement, Rok, Aldo, Brian, Michelle, Ethan, Carla, Ian, Eric, Frank, Daryl, Matt, Kyle, Robert and myself. Some of the faster skiiers enjoyed runs down the south-facing trees and gullies of Columnar Friday afternoon. Saturday morning saw the early risers set off to climb Garibaldi, but after reaching the top of Diamond Head they settled for getting turns in the nice snow. The late risers headed up the Gargoyles and skied down to the Gargoyle-Diamond Head saddle, where we met up with Brian and Nathan. (In the mean-time the rest of the early-risers were enjoying turns and generally getting turned around in the complex terrain SW of Diamond Head.) From the saddle, a bunch of folks headed back up the Gargoyles for a nice descent down the east-facing bowl back towards the hut, while the rest of us headed up Diamond Head in search of gullies with wind-protected snow. We found one and the visibility mercifully improved long enough for us to get to the bottom of the run. After a quick lunch we skinned up the north side of the Gargoyles and rejoined the skin track at the Gargoyles-Diamond Head saddle. Got to the top of the Gargoyles and skied down the East ridge through trees into the Ring Creek drainage. We met a large crew (over forty!) of brave souls heading out to the Garibaldi Neve in the deep snow and poor visibility. Back at the hut, we heard that our Vancouver friend Clemence had made it to the hut and was out getting some turns with Daryl and Carla. The skiers who had headed down the West face of Diamond Head eventually returned tired, hungry and in some cases severely blistered, but otherwise happy with their epic (they will have to fill us in on the details of their adventure). The Neve-bound BCMC skiers gave up on their objective and set up camp outside the hut, so the kitchen was rather crowded Saturday night. Sunday morning two crews set out, one to ski trees on the south side of Columnar, the other to ski the NE face of the same mountain. We were all back to the hut before noon and everyone made it back to the trailhead safely, with the exception of Robert, Matt and Kyle, who were staying an extra night or two at the hut. My photos are .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 2:05 pm 
UW Climber

Fun weekend!!!
I'm pretty sure everyone enjoyed themselves, with the exception of the large group headed for the traverse! :lol:

some pics and a couple of short video clips:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/32121172@N ... 328196230/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKq3nI6YDpU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_OiYugfxb80

Alpine Tip #17: The first and most important step in any wilderness conflict resolution scenario is, (1) Assign blame.

Post subject: what i learned:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 5:28 pm 
One Armed Wonder

In no particular order, this is what I learned,
1.) A frenchman with dynafit is probably someone to ski with and have an exciting time.
2.) The route suggestions made a frenchman with dynafits are better than those made by democratic choice.
3.) A frenchman with dynafits will probably kick your ass in skinning endurance, and kick turns.
4.) While you've gained 1000 ft in elevation, and the route you are taking is not looking any better, it is far wiser, as per the frenchman's suggestions, to go back down, and ascend via a known route.
5.) It is not necessarily better to try an 'unknown' route that is 'likely' easier than a hard route that is known.
6.) One shouldn't trust strangers in huts with bottles of Scotch out in the open.
7.) One should buy a second set of ear-plugs, just in case you lose the first
8.) Duct tape should always be properly replenished before any outing, otherwise you are sure to run out of it.
9.) Everyone that went on this trip rocks!
10.) Skin wax is a must.

Yeah, so I had a great time. I will take to heart what I've learned, though...

My pics are at http://picasaweb.google.com/sukiakiumo/Garibaldi

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 9:38 am 
The Shepherd

This was the first multiday ski adventure for me, and I had a really great time. Nathan and I headed up on Thursday, and decided to camp in the parking lot and get an early start up to the hut. As we were just about to leave on Friday morning, a few Canadians showed up and said they were glad we were going first. I wasn't sure why until a little less than half way up where we started having to really break trail. After making it to the hut and having a quick snack, we skinned up and skied down Columnar and made it back to the hut just as the Second group arrived.

On saturday we got up at 5:30 to try and make it to Garibladi, but quickly decided that the conditions would not permit a summit. So, we decided to head to little Diamond Head instead. At the summit, we found an interesting looking couloir that we decided to ski down. If you take a look at Ian's post, you can get an idea of the exciting time we had coming back up after some bad decisions. We all made it back safely, and I think we all learned from the experience. I know I sure did. I would like to give a big thank you to Clément for his tireless effort breaking trail for us as we made our way back up. I got back to the hut around 8 or 8:30 I think, so it was a pretty epic day.

Sunday we skinned out and drove home. A big group of us stopped at the Boundary Bay brewery and had dinner, which was excellent. We all had a good time relating stories from the weekend, quite a few of which came from the 40+ person group that had a lot of 'problems'.

All in all, it was a fantastic weekend shared with a bunch of great people. I have posted a few of my favorite pictures

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 10:31 am 
UW Climber

This was a great moment with great people in a great hut trip!
I'll try to describe in more details our "epic" saturday:

So, together with all the early morning climbers, we headed to Diamond Head, with a secret hope to be able to traverse all the way up to Garibaldi. This project was rather quickly discarded, as the distance appeared to be so long,
However, we summited Diamond Head peak early enough to feel like it was not enough for the day. Meanwhile the steeper West facing slopes of Diamond Head Peak were looking so attracting, that it quicly turned into an obsession.
I used all my argumentation skills (which are definitely not exceptional), to convince 4 of us to join in this project, promising to break the trail for the climbing up.
The descent was a great fun, in perfect mid-light powder snow during the 2700 feet elevation loss of the couloir,

As I promised, I start braking the trail for the way back up. I was planning on climbing on our tracks to find the weakness in the cornice at the top, but after a "democratic" vote, we chose to climb another couloir, hoping to reach the ridge at a lower altitude and find a weakness in the cornice there. The wheather turned pretty bad soon after: very low visibility, big snow flakes everywhere, We navigate between couloirs, as they end into steeper slopes, The freshly fallen snow starts to flow under my skis while braking trail, and it forces us to wait before each kickturn. We start feeling pretty bad when Ethan's skins definitely refuse to stick to his skis. It is time to bootpack, and the steep and thicker snow makes it pretty interesting! I reach a rock on top of a couloir, and was thinking that it was tthe end of the climb but, quickly discover two huge 20 feet high cornices on the front left and right of me. Straight ahead: it is all white, and I almost blindly climb what happens to be a ridge. After 50 feet, this ridge finally leads to the main plateau, and pass in between the two cornices: this is the deliberance.

We then "only" have to figure our way down the Diamond head plateau. It is all foggy and we almost made a very bad orientation decision, if at the last minute, we wouldn't have checked a GPS.

We finally turned around Gargoyles peak, and felt somehow reassured to see that meet the group of 40 people splitting in their attempt to the Neve traverse.
As Ethan's skins were still problematic, I left the group and hurried to the hut in order to reassure everyone about us coming so lately.

Well, this was a very interesting experience to share. It could have turned worse, and hopefully we did not make more than a few bad decisions :roll:

My pictures are here:

I really enjoyed the whole week-end with you guys, and hope to have many more!

Last edited by Clément Pernet on Tue Apr 01, 2008 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 11:00 am 
One Armed Wonder

Just to come clean... Clement made all of the 'right' decisions and suggestions, and was a powerhouse of trail breaking. I must admit, unfortunately, that all of my suggestions, were the sketch bad ones... that for some reason we decided to take (perhaps I argued too convincingly???). I do feel very bad because of that. I hope those who went with me will consider going again, as it was very fun! Anyway thanks Clement for kicking ass!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 11:25 am 
The Shepherd

I wouldn't beat yourself up over it Ian, as we all decided as a group what we were going to do. I don't think you argued for one way too much over another, and I think everyone thought saving some vertical gain would be a good idea. After that, not going down was probably a matter of the amount of energy already expended going up, and the thought of adding a bunch more kick turns to the mix. I think the weather coming in also added a lot of misery to the whole experience. Fortunately, we all made it out alright. I for one would certainly go again, although I would choose to climb up the way I came down.

Robert was telling me about the older guy he skis with, and he is usually in the postion of climbing up what he is about to ski down where our situation started in the opposite manner. But, the take home was that he always goes on the known route, which is what we should have done from the start.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 4:20 pm 
UW Climber

Ian, please don't feel bad about anything. As Kris said, that was a collective decisions. I said I would have prefered climbing up the way we skied down, but I was not really against your proposition neither.

Decision making is a very complex problem in mountaineering, and when there is no clear leader of the group, as in our case, it makes it very hard to find the right protocol to choose the good solution. I could also be blamed for not having managed to push harder my point of view.

We all learned a lot during the trip and I am definitely looking forward to skiing again with you.

And definitely, the bad weather made the whole thing look much more epic than it would have been by clear conditions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 10:23 pm 
One Armed Wonder

Hey, Clement, Kris, Thanks. I do feel a bit better with what you said. I guess it was a bad situation that we got ourselves into collectively. I guess I'm just bummed that we got ourselves into that in the first place.
Brian, I definitely think your suggestion of a 'bad decisions' meeting/presentation would be a good one...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:41 am 
experienced hiker of the climbing club

We'll have a meeting in April about close calls, but in the meantime, I wish we had the pirate smiley they have on nwhikers who holds up a sign saying, "Argh - thread hijacked!"

I had a fantastic time on the trip and want to thank Nick for coordinating so much of the trip. The Elfin Lakes hut makes a fantastic destination and does indeed sleep 30+. On the approach, I didn't realize that one of the floors is beneath the snow and assumed that somehow 30+ people were expected to cram themselves into the top of the A-frame.

Great days of skinning and skiing in endless powder. I'm not sure if the scale of the maps was throwing me off, or the time spent on skis, but everything seemed further apart than in the US. Which is fine when you're descending, but perhaps less fun on the way back uphill. Highlights for me include:
- Michelle and I wistfully hoping Nick meant "three kilometers" when it sounded like he said "three hours"
- Frank's attempt to hold a contour
- Having absolutely no idea where I was on the top of the Gargoyles but seeing everything very obviously the next day
- The logbook entry by the Brit
- Listening to Nick try to explain the difference between "Clement" and "Clemence"

Looking forward to making it back up to our neighbor to the north some day soon.

Thanks everyone for coming out and making this a fantastic weekend!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 4:55 pm 
Moss Man

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 10:29 pm 
UW Climber

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 10:12 am 
The 11th Essential

Looking through my photos from the trip, I can clearly see where discomfort mounts and photo density drops on Saturday afternoon. I won't beat the bush any more about Saturday, only to say thanks Clement for breaking trail, thanks Ian for the duct tape, and thanks Kris and Robert for sticking with me. And Brian, a close calls meeting is a great idea.

Had a great time regardless. Great people, great views, great snow. How could you not?

http://www.weltyphotography.com/minisho ... lfin_Lakes

Image Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 10:20 am 
One Armed Wonder

sweet shots, Ethan. If only I had the patience and skill to do what you do...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 10:46 am 
Moss Man

Ethan, a few nice ones there, especially the sharpness of focus on the skiers and hut subjects! I can chase light and get the scenery, but I have a hard time getting action shots to come in sharp focus...

Ian, you've got a few nice ones in your set as well - I just noticed something though - all your photos appear to be cropped to the golden ratio... coincidence, or by choice?

- Kevin