The Climbing Club

at the University of Washington
It is currently Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:56 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: TR Map?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 3:01 pm 
experienced hiker of the climbing club

Ralph (or other web folks),

What would be required to build an interactive map for our catalog of trip reports? Say a flag in the general area of a peak, lake, etc. That way when someone sees NW Ridge of Mt. Whosit they'd be able to connect it to a specific area rather than "Beckey 3".

I've never seen anything like that anywhere on-line and I imagine it would be a pain to build, but it would be really cool.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 6:44 pm 
An Old Geezer

I don't think it would be that hard. You just need a map image and a way of mapping GPS coordinates to pixels. I bet Javascript could take care of placing the flag/marker image over the right spot.

Someone would have to put in GPS coordinates, though. Put the pin in the map, so to speak.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 9:45 am 
Free Heel Dude

Go for it Ralph! This would be sweet. The engineer in me is quite curious to see how it would all work together.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 10:43 am 
experienced hiker of the climbing club

And I'd be happy to spend some time working up a list of GPS coordinates for the TR's.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 11:00 am 
UW Climber

It does sound like a cool idea, although it seems like in order to be useful, the map would have be be something around 1:100,000 or maybe 1:250,000 scale. Otherwise, it doesn't seem much better than just saying "Beckey 3", because all of the pins would appear in very tight clusters in the main climbing zones, with most of the rest (eg most of eastern Washington) of the screen real estate unused. The data is readily available from terraserver, and as far as I understand it, we're free to use the USGS data (I think it's in the public domain).

I could imagine the site being built up incrementally -- when someone submits a trip report, they could also submit an image of a map (or use one that has already been uploaded), together with the coordinates of the upper-left and lower-right of the map and the starting coordinates of the trip.

That way, we'd gradually build up a respository of maps that could either be "browsed" (and would show all trips that live on a given map), or linked to existing trip reports (which would enable a "show me what other trip reports live on this map" kind of query).