The Climbing Club

at the University of Washington
It is currently Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:29 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:58 am 
Tenacious Lee

I've had a trusty Gregory Triconi pack for 5 years now, and it's served me well in virtually all of my outdoor adventures. Unfortunately a few of the zippers were starting to blow out, and I was starting to consider buying an entirely new pack, when someone pointed out that a number of companies will do free repairs on their gear. After emailing customer service and getting a repair authorization number, I boxed the pack up and shipped it to them, and about two weeks later it came back with both of the failing zippers completely replaced free of charge. They even paid to have it shipped back to me, I only had to pay about $20 for the shipping to California. Quite the sweet deal!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:05 am 
UW Climber

Nice work Lee, that's definitely the way to go. I had a similarly awesome experience with Kelty's warranty repair. They quickly fixed of one of my zippers and a buckle on my pack and shipped it right back. And for that experience I would definitely buy a Kelty again. Seems like a good deal for both parties. :)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 2:46 pm 
UW Climber

Wow, that's good to know - one the zippers on my gregory pack is starting to go too...might have to look into that.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 3:50 pm 
Longshanks

it's worth noting that MSR offers a similar deal on their gear, and they are right in town! They charged me a flat $20 to repair my snowshoes a couple years back (the steel foot-plate broke after years of abuse).

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 3:55 pm 
Duchess of Bearington

Most gear companies will repair stuff like that for free. Arcteryx does all their repairs through a company in Seattle (Josh just got his zipper fully replaced on a 5 year old jacket) and I'm sending some shoes back to Garmont because the material is ripping (they said they'd most likely just replace the shoes for me).

Moral of the story is, always call and company to at least see if they'll repair it -- it's pretty incredible how much they'll do for free or minimal charging.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:51 am 
Tenacious Lee

That's great that so many companies are willing to do cheap or free repairs, I had no idea!