[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4770: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4772: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4774: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
The Climbing Club • View topic - shoe resole

The Climbing Club

at the University of Washington
It is currently Wed Jul 24, 2019 12:11 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: shoe resole
PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:59 am 
The Shepherd

I got my first pair resoled at dave page, and I was less than impressed with the work. From what I hear, it depends on who there does it, and that will vary so you may or may not get good results.

My other two pairs that were resoled I got done at cascade cobbler. They came back looking like brand new shoes. I highly recommend sending them there. If you don't want to ship them, they also pick them up twice a month at stone gardens and I think at the UW gym as well.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 12:51 pm 
experienced hiker of the climbing club

Veronika,

I have a pair of shoes that need resoling and was about to send them to Cascade Cobbler as well. Count me in!

Brian

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 1:15 pm 
Alpine Slogger

Just for a second opinion, I had a pair done at Dave Page, and was really satisfied with the work.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 2:10 pm 
receiving spoon

I'll be resoling my 1980's Raichles handed down from my Dad soon too with Cascade cobblers. I enjoy the retro mountaineer look, especially because it's cheap. Could I jump in on this?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 3:10 pm 
receiving spoon

They're definitely high top, but not turquoise. Why turquoise??? These are some strange requirements--I'm a bit confused :)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 3:28 pm 
The Pub Czar

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 3:57 pm 
Longshanks

And, for a third opinion, I've not been terribly pleased with the resole I got with Dave Page. I'd consider sending my shoes out again, but I think they may just need to be retired.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:59 pm 
Cap'n Wingspan

My #1 pair is ready for their second resole and I'm definitely going with Cascade cobbler, so I'll get in on this action too.

I've had three pairs of shoes resoled at Dave Page's, and while I've felt the work has been satisfactory, from what I've seen cascade cobbler does a better job. I've had dave page replace the rands on all my shoes and the latest pair have already worn through in the toe on both shoes (all the others also wore through - I realize this is just a function of climbing) and this time the rands are starting to delaminate in places. Additionally, he grinds the joint where the new and old rubber join and it's just not that nice looking, and I think is what contributes to the delamination. The pair of Kris' shoes I saw done by cascade cobbler were indistinguishable from a new pair.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:43 am 
UW Climber

I'd be interested in getting some shoes resoled, too.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 3:57 pm 
receiving spoon

Crap, just realized I need my boots for this weekend....

I might have to hold off.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 4:03 pm 
experienced hiker of the climbing club

I'll see you at the HUB office at noon.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 4:57 pm 
UW Climber

I'll come to the HUB, too.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:35 am 
The Shepherd

I'll be there too. Thanks for organizing this!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 5:59 pm 
Cap'n Wingspan

excellent, thanks

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:35 pm 
UW Climber

John Ramuta opened a cobbler business in downtown Seattle, long ago. His son, also John, became a big rock climber. Not big in fame and 5.15 skillz but big in that he climbed, and he climbed. He was also into the cobbler business, with his father. Younger John was the goto cobbler for most of Seattle's technical shoe needs (climbing shoe half resoles, moutaineering boots, backcountry ski boots, etc).

Young John has summitted many of the peaks in Washington, as well cragged up and down the state. Back in the late 90's I negotiated a little hookup for the members of the UWCC, it was 10% discount, but the true deal with John Ramuta's work is the quality of his work.

Ace Boreals, he provided me 9 half-sole resoles, as well as several rand repairs. Each time they came back snug, solid and ready for action.

Five-Ten UFO / Ascent / V-Mile, whatever they call it this year, it's a slipper and it's got 2 velcro bands. There is no board or midsole in this shoe. Well, John Ramuta provided me 5 half-sole resoles and a few rand repairs. He also replaced the velcro whenever it was loosing it's grab.

http://www.ramutasresoles.com/aboutus.htm

He moved to Montana, but he's still top dog for shoe resoles. His work looks orignial, your shoes return looking beautiful. He's an artisan, he cares about his work, he's a climber. $30 for a half-sole and your shoes will feel good and look perfect.

Dave.