[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4770: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4772: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4774: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
The Climbing Club • View topic - Camera Case

The Climbing Club

at the University of Washington
It is currently Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:13 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Camera Case
PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 11:07 pm 
Cap'n Posthole

I just got a new camera and I hope that I will actually take pictures now. I have noticed that most of the time when I bring my camera on trips that it rarely leaves my pack. Hopefully my picture taking will increase with a new camera, but I am also rethinking how I carry it. I am wondering what other people do.
How do you keep your camera accessible yet protected.

Post subject: Re: Camera Case
PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 11:29 pm 
Mountain Rhombus

I have which I really like. I put a 'biner through the little loop on the back and then clip it to my harness or pack loops so its always accessible. The velcro flap is strong enough to always keep it secure, but you can get it out in about 1.53 seconds. I doesn't protect it from the rain unfortunately and I have had to put it in a plastic bag inside the case. I have forgotten to take it off of my pack loop while glissading and managed to get the case filled with snow, but i've actually done that many times with no damage done. The little zip pocket on the front is big enough for me to fit 4 extra AAs. Granted you have to have a camera that would fit in it.

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 8:56 am 
The 11th Essential

What type / size of camera?
An IMAX camera, or a small p&s? Obadiah has a clever system for his p&s, and I've long settled on this for my SLR gear:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1 ... tpack.html (still available on ebay)

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 9:28 am 
Cap'n Posthole

It's just a small point in shoot and in fact its one of the tough versions, so my main concern is actually using it and not dropping it off a pitch. I was thinking either something like what Obadiah uses or maybe just a simple neck-strap and then keeping it in a chest pocket.

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 10:25 am 
Longshanks

This is probably more than you're looking for Dave, but this is an article worth reading:
http://www.alexandrebuisse.org/writings ... hotography

In a nutshell, how you carry your camera equipment can easily be more important than anything else! Talent is important. Skill is important. Equipment is important. None of them will help you if your camera isn't close to hand when something interesting happens!

Obviously I'm very happy with the way I do things, but it is designed for a somewhat larger camera. One that doesn't easily fit in a pocket. There may be a better solution for something really small.

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 11:00 am 
The 11th Essential

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 1:17 pm 
Dr. Crevasse

Cool article. The photos from Chopi are amazing. I need to go back to Peru.

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 1:52 pm 
Tenacious Lee

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 3:14 pm 
UW Climber

I keep my point and shoot camera in its small mini-backpack case with the wrist strap hanging out, carabiner through the case loop, secured on my harness or pack waist strap. Easy access and wrist strap access is more security if there's some risk of dropping it a long vertical distance.

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 9:07 pm 
Cap'n Wingspan

I have a LowePro case that I really like. it's got super strong velcro straps that I put around the waist belt of my pack. I always have it on the right side, zipper facing to the left so I can get it out easily. it's a bit less secure than Obadiah's system with the backups, but if I'm ever concerned about dropping it, I put the wrist strap on before taking it out of the bag. I agree with Lee that having a camera case around your neck can get in the way of climbing. When I'm on a technical climb and don't have a pack or don't want the case on the pack because it gets in the way of gear, I just stick it in one of the hip pockets of my pants. On me, these tend to be beneath the harness leg loops, so they are easy to access, that section of my body doesn't often contact the rock, and the pockets are designed in such a way that it's unlikely anything will fall out. Far from foolproof, but it works.

As for wet conditions, I just take a sandwhich sized zip-lock bag and keep it folded up inside the case. whenever it's wet or snowy I just slip the camera in that, seal it, and put back in the case. Has worked every time except once when the bag wore out (I had used the same bag the whole season and the seal at the bottom ripped). The camera didn't get wet. i have one of those super dry hard cases, but I think I will keep that for rafting, since it's heavy, bulky, and the camera never comes out of the case when I use it.

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 9:20 am 
UW Climber

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 2:19 pm 
The 11th Essential

A little desiccant inside the case never hurts, either. Ask your local shoe salesman for a bag of the little sachets.