[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4770: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4772: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4774: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
The Climbing Club • View topic - Snowshoeing Trip

The Climbing Club

at the University of Washington
It is currently Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:08 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Snowshoeing Trip
PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:32 pm 
UW Climber

Hey Climbers,

I am kinda new to the climbing club. I have been talking to people at the Pub Nights and I have found that a bunch of us want to go snowshoeing. I don't know any trails or places to go, but would like to go. I was wondering if any of the more experienced members could let me know of any good trip ideas. The amount of people coming would obviously depend on the amount of cars available.

I unfortunately do not have a car up here so we would need someone with a car to get us there.

If you are part of the club and have paid for membership you can check out snowshoes for free.

You can contact me at

Email - kkoch1@hotmail.com
Phone - (949) 636-6138

-Kyle

Post subject: Re: Snowshoeing Trip
PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:54 am 
UW Climber

I would be up to go snowshoeing and do not have a car that could handle snow on the drive in.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:33 pm 
UW Climber

Hi!

I'd like to do snowshoeing too, and I have a car that can handle winter road conditions.

I haven't thought much about places to go snowshoeing yet. If we are planning for this weekend, I will have time to look into places to go later this week (Thurs or Friday), but feel free to do that research ahead of me. We should look look into how much snow accumulation there will be over the weekend.

Kyle - I know you were hoping for suggestions right off the bat, but paste this search into Google, and see if you find anything interesting (I plan to browse through it myself, and maybe gather up some suggestions at pub night this week):
site:students.washington.edu/climb/forum {snowshoe snowshoeing}

Best,
Andrea

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:18 pm 
UW Climber

Hello!

I'm interested too! When is this happening? I can drive but I do not have a car.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:22 pm 
UW Climber

hey guys
I would LOVE to go snowshoeing this weekend! I also dont have a car...but i can pitch in gas money and research places to go! Ill be at pub night tomorrow so we can talk details/gather a crew a bit then maybe. Let's get out of the city this weekend!

my number is 707 631 2997 if some later in the week planning goes on via cell.
hope to see you all tomorrow!

~Ilana

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:23 pm 
UW Climber

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:41 pm 
UW Climber

Hey guys,

Just a little update. I am thinking about doing the Hurricane Hill Snowshoe. I'm going to the Pub Night tomorrow so we can discuss the logistics of the trip including when we will go.

You can read a trip report for more information about the hike here:

http://mikeshikes.blogspot.com/2008/02/ ... -hill.html

-Kyle

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:43 pm 
UW Climber

Hey Kyle,

I didn't get a chance to talk to you last night cos it was quite crowded.
Did you manage to organise something? If you still have any space left would it be possible for me to join you?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:37 pm 
UW Climber

Chris,

If we end up going this weekend, it looks like we will have a total of five people. Right now, it is up to the driver and the amount of room in the car. I will try to get in contact with the driver to work things out. I had to leave the pub night early because I had to study for a midterm. Ill message you as soon as I figure more things out.

-Kyle

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:39 pm 
UW Climber

Hi all,

Sorry for not connecting last night.

I can take 4 people plus me - I have a spacebooster where we can store our equipment.

Kyle, Hurricane Ridge is a beautiful area, but it is a long drive to get out to the Olympic Peninsula.

As an alternative, what do you think of Hex mountain?
http://www.wta.org/go-hiking/hikes/hex-mountain
http://www.summitpost.org/hex-mountain/152440
http://www.wta.org/go-hiking/seasonal-h ... n-snowshoe

It is a quick pick, but I will keep an eye out for anything interesting.

The forecast for Saturday seems good - sunny or partly sunny.
Let's say we meet at the Burke at 8am on Saturday if the avy conditions are alright?

I am comfortable going out if the avy danger rating is "moderate". Right now it is considerable: http://www.nwac.us/
My number is 206-856-7127

Also of interest:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Kh_nvcDxxs

REI Seattle - Free Avy Awareness Class
When
Thu, January 30, 19:00 – 20:30
Where
REI - Seattle Store (map)
Description

NWAC - AIARE AVALANCHE AWARENESS

The NWAC - AIARE Avalanche Awareness Program is offered as a public service to communities, schools and outdoor clubs. Program length is 1.5 hours. Specific programs are in place for middle and high schools, motorized (snowmobile) users, non-motorized (skier, snowboarder, snowshoer) and mixed user groups.

The course is expected to:
•Introduce and explain to students where and why avalanches occur.
•Describe who gets caught and why.
•Provide a basic approach to staying safe in the backcountry.

This course targets the unaware backcountry traveler, and introduces the recognition of avalanche danger and how to reduce the risk.

Student Learning Outcomes
•Learn to access local avalanche bulletins and weather reports.
•Recognize basic signs of avalanche danger.
•Learn to avoid avalanche danger.
•Understand the need for companion rescue techniques and equipment.

The course utilizes interactive presentation materials and local case histories and encourages questions from the audience. Participants that are more than casual users of the backcountry are encouraged to take a multiple day avalanche course.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:36 am 
UW Climber

Hex mountain looks awesome. As of right now I believe we have all the spots filled in the car unless we get additional drivers. I'm going to pick my equipment up tomorrow.