The Climbing Club

at the University of Washington
It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2019 2:19 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Vantage Trip 11/2 - 11/3
PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:32 pm 
UW Climber

Hey climbers, time for some cragging before the long Seattle winter. We're going to Vantage (aka Frenchman Coulee) out in eastern Washington. Great mix of sport and trad climbs, and definitely a good place for a first outdoor climbing experience if you haven't been. There's a wide range of routes here, so don't be discouraged if you're not climbing 5.13 yet. No matter your level, Vantage will have something for you. We'll have a potluck Saturday night, so bring some food or drink (or both!!)

We ask that, if you plan to come, you have a belay certification at the IMA crags or if you haven't been to the IMA, that you be able to belay safely at least on top rope. If you're interested in getting a belay cert, the club is providing subsidized belay classes through the IMA. We will also need people who know how to lead climb and lead belay, either on sport or trad.

Gear for everyone to bring: harness, climbing shoes, HELMETS (there's a good deal of loose rock at Vantage), sleeping bag, food (personal), food/drink (communal), water, LAYERS it gets pretty cold at night.
Gear (if you have it): Trad protection, quickdraws (sport protection), chalk bag, rope, tent.

Note, there are helmets available to rent through the club if you don't have one.

Getting there: head east on I-90, take Exit 143 (you'll see signs for Gorge Amphitheater), turn north and go for about 3/4 mile until you get to Vantage Road, turn left and it's almost a mile to the main parking area. We'll have a camp set up near here.

As we get closer to the first weekend of November, we'll get a spreadsheet up to organize rides and tents. Drivers, be aware that Vantage does require a parking permit, the Discover Pass. If you want to head over friday evening to get a jump on climbing, you can most likely find someone to take you. Otherwise the majority will leave early that saturday and return sunday evening.

Edit: Here's the link to the carpool spreadsheet. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc ... fbkE#gid=0

If you're interested in going, sign up, and also post a reply on this thread with:
1. Do you have the gear you need?
2. What climbing experience do you have?
3. Can you drive? (sign up as a driver)

On the spreadsheet is a cell asking if you have tent. If you can bring a tent, let us know, and also put how many people your tent can fit.

Start GETTING EXCITED!!!! The cragging season is coming to an end, let's give it a proper send off.

Your Master of Climbing Stoke,
Frankie

Last edited by Frankie Pereda on Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:27 am 
UW Climber

Hi Frankie. I'm on exchange for the year from London and I'd like to get involved- managed to miss your intro meeting but I've been climbing regularly with the climbing team. Are there any meetings coming up?
Thanks, Rory.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:24 pm 
UW Climber

Yeah, we have meetings most Wednesdays at 5:30 in room 248 in the Mechanical Engineering Building, followed by Pub night at Big Time on the Ave. Definitely stop by next week. The final details of the trip should be hammered out by then.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:09 pm 
UW Climber

Hi!

1. I have my own gear + a 60m rope and 7 draws. No tent.
2. leading indoors up to 5.10, some top rope outdoors.
3. Can't drive.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:56 pm 
UW Climber

Hello

1. I have harness, shoes, and chalk. No helmet or other outdoor gear.
2. I top rope indoors, 5.12b/c level. I haven't yet climbed outdoor or lead climbed, but I'm stoked to try!
3. Can't drive, tent possible.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:51 pm 
UW Climber

Ready to get climbing outdoors.

1. I have a harness, shoes, and helmet with a appropriate belay device and personal anchor. I also have some quickdraws and an anchor kit.
2. Comfortable leading a 5.9 outdoors, might try a 5.10
3. Can't drive, but could provide tent space.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:40 pm 
UW Climber

Hi,

1. I have a harness, shoes, belay device and will borrow a helmet from the climbing club
2. climbed only top rope indoors before, 5.8 to 5.9
3. can't drive, don't have a tent

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:04 pm 
UW Climber

Psyched for Vantage!

I have rope and sport gear
Can lead up to 5.10b outdoors
Maybe can drive

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 3:02 pm 
UW Climber

Hello,

I have harness, shoes etc and quickdraws and a small amount of trad stuff
I can lead, not sure what grade here though, but not particularly hard
I do not have tent or car

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 3:25 pm 
UW Climber

Hello again,

just wondering if someone might have a camping stove to heat up some food/drink?

cheers!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:07 pm 
UW Climber

Hi,

1. I have no gear right now but I'm going to get shoes and a harness some time soon
2. I've only been climbing a few times at the IMA
3. I can't drive

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:19 pm 
UW Climber

Hey there!

1. Harness, shoes, old school belay device, and will be checking a helmet out from IMA.
2. Outdoor trad and lead climbing experience (at beginner level), as well as indoor sport.
3. No car, no tent :(

Cant wait!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 12:47 pm 
UW Climber

Can my climbing partner come along? Between us we have:

A bunch of quickdraws
Rope
A bunch of slings and runners, biners and other such sport anchor building things
Two tents
Wired stoppers and nut tool (beginnings of my trad rack - someone who actually climbs trad can borrow them?)
Harnesses, shoes, helmets, belay device etc.
Can toprope and lead sport to ~5.9
Can belay

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 4:55 pm 
UW Climber

Allen Lee:

1.i have personal (helmet, harness, shoes, sleepbag and more..). And 1x grigri, 1x atc, 1x <8-shape belay device>, and some carribiners.
2.outdoor and indoor climbing experience, have belay certification from IMA, never done lead climb, skilled at approx 5.7-5.10 two years ago(don't know now :lol: )
3.i can drive, me + 4 others
4. i have one tent, holds me+1.

Last edited by Allen Lee on Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 6:56 pm 
UW Climber

Helloooo!

1. Do you have the gear you need?

Only personal climbing gear (harness, belay, shoes). No helmet but will borrow from the club.
I have no camping stuff - if anyone has a sleeping bag I could borrow I will happily pay you in various snacks of your choice otherwise will rent. Anyone know the cheapest rentals in Seattle?

2. What climbing experience do you have?
Top roping in/outdoors, leading inside a long time ago. Currently climbing at 5.8/9.

3. Can you drive? (sign up as a driver)
No.