[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4770: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4772: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4774: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
The Climbing Club • View topic - I-90 Summit intro hike, Sunday Oct 6

The Climbing Club

at the University of Washington
It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2019 2:24 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:50 am 
stick clip

Hello climbers,

Much like previous years' October adventures, I'm organizing a moderate hike/scramble for club members both new and old. We'll be converging on either Mount Defiance or Mount Bandera, both conveniently at the same trailhead. The trails are non-technical, but somewhat steep, and may have some boulder hopping. Elevation gain will be over 3000 feet in about 6 miles (slightly less for the Bandera option). We recommend you are in good physical shape to maximize your enjoyment, though no special training is required. No specialized gear required, just weather appropriate clothing, a pack to carry extra clothes, food and water (I'd suggest that everyone take 2L of water, running out of water is not a good thing) and a sturdy pair of shoes or boots with good soles. While the weather looks surprisingly agreeable for this time of year, it will be a bit chilly at the top, so bring warm clothes. As with any trip in the mountains, cotton clothing is discouraged. NO JEANS please.

Currently the weather looks sunny with a high of about 46F at the summit of the higher peak.

We'll be leaving Seattle at 7:00 am on Sunday morning from the Burke Museum Parking lot. Expect to be back in Seattle sometime in the afternoon.

If you're interested in joining this gathering, please post the following:
1.Do you have all the necessary gear (warm clothes, sturdy boots, backpack to carry your food and water)
2.What is your experience level?
3.Please sign up for carpools on the following google doc (if you don't sign up you won't have a ride).
CARPOOL HERE:
The number of people that we can take is dependent on the number of free seats available in the carpool, so don’t wait to sign up or there may not be spots left in the vehicles. Look at the example on the right when signing your car up if you are a driver. Passengers, please include you phone number and name IN ACTUAL EMPTY SEATS.

DETAILS:

-Northwest Forest Pass: EACH CAR NEEDS ONE! Please try to have this before we leave Sunday morning.
-Directions: From Seattle, take I-90 E to exit 45. Cross over (under?) the freeway and take road 9030 to a junction about 1 mile down the road. Follow road 9031 to the left for another 3 miles until the trailhead is reached at the end of the road. Good parking lot with toilets available.
-Those getting rides: the general way rides work in the club is that if you get a ride with someone, please plan on paying for your portion of the gas. Drivers are essential for getting everyone into the mountains, so be kind to your driver, and don't stiff them the gas money! BRING $5 if you are not driving!

Last edited by Jason Kowitz on Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:57 am 
stick clip

This is how you should sign up:

Hi there! I'm excited to like, go hiking and stuff. I like having fun and promise not to come unprepared. I will almost certainly not have a heart attack on the trail because I'm in decent shape, and also pledge to have a good attitude. Yippie!!!

1. I have all the gear I could need. In fact, I'll probably bring too much.
2. I have been hiking for many years and am comfortable hiking uphill for extended periods of time.
3. I have a car with room for three passengers, which I correctly posted on the google doc.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:28 pm 
UW Climber

Hi, my name is Mandy. I'm excited to get out this weekend!

1. I have all the gear I need.
2. I have experience hiking/trail running, recently completed the BOEALPS basic mountaineering class, and am WRFA certified.
3. I signed up for Jason's car.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:51 pm 
UW Climber

1. I have all necessary gear
2. I have experience with/am comfortable with hiking
3. I signed up for Jason's car

See you Sunday :lol: Katrina

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:44 pm 
UW Climber

My name is Kyle and I am a new member.

1. I have all the gear
2. I am very experienced in hiking and backpacking
3. I am on the list for Ryan's car

Last edited by Kyle Koch on Fri Oct 04, 2013 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 5:44 pm 
UW Climber

Hi all! Ready to get started with the new year for the climbing club!!

1. I have the necessary gear.
2. I have experience hiking.
3. I'm on the Google spreadsheet as a driver (#5 I believe) I have 3 spots open.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 6:20 pm 
UW Climber

Hi - I'm excited to hit the trail!
1. I have the required gear.
2. I have plenty of hiking/backpacking experience.
3. I signed up with Frankie's car on the spreadsheet.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 6:20 pm 
UW Climber

Hi guys I'm John and I can't wait to be outside this weekend

1. I have all the gear i need
2. I have experience in hiking and love it
3. I'm signed up with car #5

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 6:25 pm 
UW Climber

Hello! I'm Quintin and I'm a new member. I have decent experience with hiking and am in good shape

1. I have the gear
2. I have a decent amount of hiking experience
3. I'm signed up for Frankies car

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:28 pm 
UW Climber

Hi, I'm Zach and new to the UW and the climbing club. Ready to get out doing something this weekend.

1. I do have the necessary gear
2. I have been hiking over the summers and would've like to do more.
3. Signed up for car #4, which is driverless as I post this.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:02 pm 
UW Climber

Hi I'm Chris. New to Washington and excited to start exploring.

1. I have the necessary gear
2. I have plenty of hiking experience
3. I don't have a car and I've signed up on the doc

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:30 pm 
The Pub Czar

Hi there! I'm excited to like, spend an entire day wishing I were warm and dry in the city, having a croissant and doing the Sunday crossword and then taking a nap. I hate having fun and promise to forget at least two things. One of them will be my pants. I will almost certainly complain on the trail despite being in decent shape, and also pledge to find a sharp stick and poke Jason with it. Yerrrrrrp. :)

1. I gots gear. Will bring some extra warm clothes just in case.
2. I hike with grace and dignity about once or twice a year. I go without them significantly more often.
3. I'll be driving Maxwell, who can fit me + 4 passengers (if someone doesn't mind the middle seat). Maxwell is probably older than you are; please adjust your expectations.

I'm (driving) car #2, which appears to be full already. We still need two more cars!

PS I vote for Pratt over Defiance, just because I haven't done it. Same trailhead.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:59 pm 
stick clip

I don't think it's a coincidence that Amittai had 666 posts as of this reply. That is all.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:29 pm 
The Pub Czar

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:53 am 
UW Climber

My name is Brendan
1. I know a thing or two about gear.
2. I'm really excited to try out this new 'hiking' fad. Apparently you just walk, for extended periods of time. It's supposed to be wild.
3. I signed myself up for Melissa's car (I'm going to check if I can get access to a car, in which case I can drive +3/4).